Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hi from Pennsylvania.

Tele kits are a great place to start, and your plans sound like great mods that shouldnt be too difficult.
    I am lucky enough to have an 80's MIJ Tele, in my sig...

Great to meet you Rob. There are a certainly a few of us looking at making a double-cut tele based on Bargey's effort . Sounds like some great builds on the way! Will be great to read all about them . Welcome to the PBG clan.
    Cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Welcome along Rob. Looks like you've got yourself a few plans! Sounds great and can't wait to see how they all turn out.

Hi Rob and welcome to the "crew" or as it possibly deserves to be called "Guitar Builders (not so) Anonymous"

If you've got anything to do with Tele's you're in good company as there's many Tele-aficionados in the forum (watch out for the mysterious Tele-napper ... if one goes missing he's probably ""acquired" it) ... and it sounds like its way too late to warn you about G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) seems like you've already caught it

You've got some great sounding plans as well (Bargeloob's "Bladecatcher" certainly is a beauty isn't she ... just one great example of what you can do with a PBG kit!)

If you going to be putting binding a guitar ... keep your eye on my current build ("GR-1SF Rocker-billy") over the next few weeks - it'll probably provide an excellent example of "what NOT to do!" and give you the chance to learn from my screw-ups ... I'm putting a matching (to the body) binding on the headstock ... but I'm cutting the binding groove by hand using a "binding channel cutter" tool ... it should be interesting as long as I don't lose too many fingers!

Waterslide Decals for Headstocks ... there's actually quite a few decal in printers in the US that do small jobs, low prices and quick turnarounds (more than there are here in Oz) and they generally have pretty good art department services too ... but if you want to do it yourself I've found that you get a better quality print from a laser-printer (and most low-end inkjet printers don't use a water-proof ink which you need) ... and mid-to-high-end laser printers WILL print white. Blank waterslide decal paper is readily available and pretty cheap.

But on nearly all the areas of guitar building you'll need to know about (including the above) there's a myriad of information in the forum posts ... and of course for any and all problems, there's our very own resident guitar-build guru, Dingobass

Don't forget to take heaps of pics for your build diary ... most of us can't read! (just kidding) ... and really looking forward to seeing your "double f-hole Tele" come together ... sounds like it will be sweet axe.

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. View Post
    I'm putting a matching (to the body) binding on the headstock ... but I'm cutting the binding groove by hand using a "binding channel cutter" tool ... it should be interesting as long as I don't lose too many fingers!
    Very brave Scott! Will be watching with some interest.

MIJ Fenders rock. Every bit as good if not better than the american made standards!

Thank you for the welcome Stan, Gav, Brendon and Scott!
    I've owned some really nice top end guitars, Parker Fly, Gibsons, Fender custom shop, and I've owned some very cool guitars like an old Kramer DMZ 100 double cutaway, aluminum neck and split headstock. Weighed about 50 lbs but was a nice guitar. But no matter how many I won I always go back to Teles.
    I love the thin neck cause I have short stubby fingers. The body fits me to a tee and I love the sound.

It's really good to know I have access to Tele knowledge!

I look forward to your new build Scott and while I do have G.A.S. my money says..not so fast there! I'll be able to get 3 kits this year and of course I will write a dairy of what I do!!!

Welcome Rob!
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2