Thread: My first build. ESB-4SC.

My first build. ESB-4SC.

Hello, I was looking for a new project besides another motorcycle and decided to put my woodworking skills to use. First guitar build for me and if all goes well, it won't be the last as I have 4 children who play guitar.
    Ordered the ESB-4 kit, but when it arrived it was an ESB-4SC with fretted neck. My son likes it, so l will proceed with this kit.
    I've been looking through the available build instructions and couldn't find any info on measurements for placing the tailpiece and bridge. Any information on this or links to the information will be greatly appreciated.
    He would also prefer a chrome bridge, will a tune-o-matic bridge work in place of the supplied bridge?

Will definitely do my best to keep updates on the build as current as I can during the process and I am excited about doing this build, as I believe learning new skills is one of the best parts of life. Thank you in advance for any help the members of this forum can provide me.

Kevin

Hi Kev, and welcome to the forum, PBG, and the wonderful world of the guitar building ... the best, cheapest and most rewarding form of therapy that there is!

Instructions/measurements for bridge placement? ... most everything that you'll need to know you'll probably find under the forum section "How to Build Your Pit Bull Guitar" in which there a huge number of threads on just about every area of guitar construction (a must read for both beginners and pro's - you never what little tips and tricks you'll pick up in there!) ... but for your initial questions you might want to start with these two threads for bridge placement ...

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=2303

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=3048

... definitely give them a read, but the theory is - the distance from the inside of the nut (on the neck/head) to the middle of the fret wire at 12th fret is the same distance as that between the middle of the 12th fret's wire to the bridge (the 12th fret is effectively the middle of the scale) ... getting this position correct will enable you get a perfect intonation "dialled in" when you've completed the guitar and doing its final set-up.

I've not built the ESB-4/4SC so I can't confirm ... but while that model's description seems to indicate that it comes with a T-o-M bridge, the pics of that model show it with what looks like a floating bridge ... a bit confusing, I must admit! ... however, I think that as long as there is a support post underneath the exact position where you'll need to drill the post-holes for the bridge then there shouldn't be a problem (you don't want to only have the thin timber of the soundboard/top of the guitar as the only material taking the strain of the bridge posts! )

Best option though is to speak with Adam if you have any concerns regarding the kit ... or with the resident Guru "DingoBass" (DB for short) for any technical assistance with the build or modifications ... and if its a bass he's all the happier! (all hail to the guru, DB!)

Whereabouts in the "Lone Star" state are you based? ... I spent many months based in the Houston area (a few years back now), and thoroughly enjoyed the time I was there (my favourite US state)... and funnily enough, I found it to be surprisingly just like Australia (the people, their sense of humour and the countryside - except for their accents and the fact that everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road! ) ... and being a biker, you're in good company here, there's number of us "two-wheelers" in the forum.

Don't forget to maintain your build diary as you work through the build - we all love to live vicariously through other people's builds as much as we like to build ourselves ... with lots of pics too (most of us can't read! ... just kidding)

Good luck with it, enjoy it and any questions just throw 'em up on the forum and you'll get plenty of answers!

Cheers, mate.

Scott J.

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. View Post

... definitely give them a read, but the theory is - the distance from the inside of the nut (on the neck/head) to the middle of the fret wire at 12th fret is the same distance as that between the middle of the 12th fret's wire to the bridge (the 12th fret is effectively the middle of the scale) ... getting this position correct will enable you get a perfect intonation "dialled in" when you've completed the guitar and doing its final set-up.
    Almost Scott!
    The correct positioning for the bridge is obtained by measuring the distance from the inside of the nut (on the neck/head) to the middle (crown) of the fret wire at 12th fret BUT then measure that the same distance from the middle of the 12th fret's wire to the saddles of the bridge plus compensation (which is explained in the thread and help video's) as well as the reasons for it. This is why the saddles of the bridge are always angled slightly depending on whether you are building a right or left handed guitar. The 'scale length' is longer at the bass strings, shorter at the treble. If the bridge has adjustable saddles, these should be adjusted prior to bridge placement and positioned in the middle of the bridge.

Gavmeister

That's me! - "Almost Scott" ... "almost scott it right" ... "almost scott it straight" ... "almost scott the beat"! ... bwahahaha

Thanks Gav, you "nailed it" again ... I was just "nutshell-ing" it for Kevin, so as to leave the critical detail to the info already posted in the most excellent threads on this subject.

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

Hi Kevin,
    The ESB-4SC is a hollowbody and therefore will have a floating bridge. You can use the scale length calculation to find the approx position of the bridge and then fine tune the position during intonation. From my experience, the tailpiece (trapeze?) can be screwed in the centre of the back along with the strap pin to allow the outer strings to be laid over the bridge first for positioning and intonation.

If you swap to a tuneomatic floating bridge, then I suggest using the stewmac fret position calculator to calculate the bridge's initial position.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Gav.
    Last edited by gavinturner; 25-12-2014 at 07:41 AM.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Youre gutsy to try this as a first build. I've finished three kits and Im still not brave enough to try a hollow body cos I swear the wiring will drive me nuts. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by ultpanzi View Post
    Youre gutsy to try this as a first build. I've finished three kits and Im still not brave enough to try a hollow body cos I swear the wiring will drive me nuts. Best of luck and keep us posted.
    I'm usually OK with wiring things up, generally not too stressful for me. Thanks everybody for the initial help on the bridge questions. I should be able to get this thing lined up.

Scott,
    I'm in the San Marcos area about halfway between Austin and San Antonio. Texas is definitely one of my favorite states. I have met a few people from Australia in my travels and can honestly say that I enjoyed the company of all them. It's looking like my job will most likely get me to Australia in mid to late 2015. Looking forward to my first trip there.

Kevin