Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New member, emerald on mahogany question!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New member, emerald on mahogany question!

Hi all. Bengt Vallhagen here, swedish guitar player and sometimes DIY-er (mostly in the world of electrons so far; guitar stompboxes). I found my way here through some googling - it shall be the place for wudtone questions, right? And also, i take for granted that its ok to ask questions, even though none of my parts are Pitbull stuff (my necks and bodies are from Warmoth, and i got my wudtone stuff from the european retailer). I have watched through the Pitbull videos on applying wudtone, very helpful!

So, we (me and the 13yo boy somehow supervised by me) just started the finnish work on two guitars, pics below. The red Telecaster body is wudtone cherry flamenco (two layers deep coat so far), looks very promising. The (SG-like) Diamondback body is in mahogany with a first layer of green emerald isles. And this combo - mahogany and emerald isles - makes me just a little doubtful. Maybe i didnt read up enough carefully before i started the project, or maybe (hopefully!) it will turn out all brilliant.

Maybe i can put the question like this: Will the emerald be more "light - pea-" green when i apply more and more layers? As it is right now, its more like mossgreen (the picture doesnt really say it all, its damm hard to take pics showing the real world color... but it gives you a hint) as the emerald mix with the original mahogany brown-red.

Also; Is there anyone out there who has applied emerald isles on mahogany and can tell about their experience?

...strange, i cant insert images? becouse its my 1st post ? Anyway, here's links:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190945/gitarrbygge/JulleBody2nd_1.jpg
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10190945/gitarrbygge/Bengtbody2nd_1.jpg

Cheers you all!
    Bengt

...trying to show pics again:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JulleBody2nd_1.jpg 
Views:	575 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	705
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bengtbody2nd_1.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	706

...success ?

G'day Bengt,
    both builds looking good. I've attached wudtone suitability charts and it's saying emerald isles is highly suitable for mahogany. I think the green will deepen after more coats. It will take longer as mahogany is a much browner timber than most other types. I've generally used a brownish stain to go over mahogany bodies and haven't seen emerald isles on a mahogany body on our forum so can't comment.
    Good luck and please post some pics after more coats.
    The Tele in cherry flamenco looks fantastic !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wudtone wood suitability chart.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wudtone wood suitability chart2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	720  
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 02-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

hi Wokkaboy, and thanx for reply!

Good thinking to attach the compatibilty color/wood charts. By reading that i cant be all wrong after all ...

I actually e-mailed with Andy at wudtone as well, regarding the subject. he's reply is pretty much the same as yours, and he also hinted about a method to speed up the coloring process, a method more often used with solid colors. I'll see if i dare to try it, or just go on with many layers. Next painting time is this evening.

I will definately update here as the process goes on!

Cheers!

no worries Bengt, what was Andy's method to speed up the colouring process ?
    if you live in a cold climate (sounds like it of you are Swedish) the curing process will take longer, so don't rush the colour coats. I'd guess minimum 2-3 days between coats. We usually give the body a light rub with super fine 0000 grade steel wool between coats

Completed builds

Yep, its indeed cold and dark November here up north! ... But I do the painting and drying indoors (no funny temperatures or humidity), so the climate shall not have too much influence on the curing.

The method mentioned is described on the wudtone forum, here: http://www.wudtone.com/forum/?topic=...id-colour-kits. And yes, Andy included the words "carefully try" when he gave me the link. So I am warned!

Cheerio!

thanks for posting that Bengt. I wouldn't recommend slapping on too much stain so I'd stick to what you are doing and be patient, the green will gradually darken with more coats.

Completed builds

If you mix the olympic white with the emerald isles, it should help give a more solid colour. Theoretically only, I've never tried it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ultpanzi View Post
    If you mix the olympic white with the emerald isles, it should help give a more solid colour. Theoretically only, I've never tried it personally.
    Hmm. worth noticing. Thanx for the hint ultpanzi!

Cheerio

Indeed patience is a virtue, I read you.

Thanx for helpful posts wokkaboy!

Cheers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast