Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New member, emerald on mahogany question!

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    nice Vallhagen, the grain on the back is something hey. Did you route the tremelo cavity and do the tummy cuts etc ?
    I'm very interested to hear a sound demo, look forward to that !
    Yea, its a bit ironic, the backside grain is more spectacular and nice than the top!

No, i didn't route any of the cavities or cuts myself. Put it this way: I generally concider myself confident and "good" with tools and design, but many moments in this project were new to me; i have never really done any qualified woodwork on exclusive wood before. Also, i dont have any really good workspace for too dustcreating works (read: sawdust). So to keep the risks of first-time-failure at minimum i orderred the stuff all pre-drilled and pre-routed, just leaving the finnish, assembly and adjustment work to myself. The only drill-job i had to do was for the pickguard, the woodmounted pickup, strap holders and jack screws. Confident and convenient... maybe a bit cowardly but... for this time it felt right. This is also the reason why i chose guitar(s) with bolt-on necks, not glue-in. Less risk of f"""kin things up. But i love to do my homework and get the feeling for new stuff. I have never polished anything with steel wool before, now i have. For next project - if there will be one - i guess i will take things a step further and start with a more raw platform.

Cheers!

... just for fun, i took a round to weigh my guitars, i havent done that before. It turned out that this telecaster is the heaviest instrument around here. If anyone is interested, from light to heavy, and the instruments mentioned in this thread is the Diamondback and the Telecaster:

kg lbs
    Xaviere LP: 3,1 6,8
    Amistar res. 3,35 7,4
    Ibanez RG505 3,45 7,6
    Diamondback 3,65 8,05
    Stratocaster 3,85 8,5
    Telecaster 4,05 8,9

Edit: Funny to try insert a table.. well it IS readable with some creativity!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4