Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom IB-7

Custom IB-7

Custom IB-7 order came in and its all good except for one little bit that needs work. The neck came with no nut position cut into it so I was wondering whats the best way to cut it in? (Somewhat fender-esque in a sense)
    Theres a pic of the body and neck and you can see theres no nut position cut into the neck at the top, theres just another fret slot thats empty. If the pic doesnt load in the post, I've included a link to the insta version of the pic.

http://instagram.com/p/v-Tz9JGHpz/?modal=true

Here's a the pic and a close up of the nut location. Any suggestions are welcome because there's very little out there online that I can find that can help me. My current idea is to cut on both sides of the slot and chisel away the middle. Any better suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	653   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	146 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	654  

Hi ultpanzi,

Wow, that's a pretty serious omission on the part of the factory (I guess Quality Control must have been on a tea-break!). From the pic it looks like it supposed to be inlet into the fretbaord (like the F-types) rather than mounted at the end of the fretbaord (like G-types) ... but either way its critical to located precisely

... I reckon this one absolutely needs the guru ... DB!

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

If you can, cut a small channel that would 'fit' a fender style nut then you should be ok. I think the Fender nut is around 2mm thick, but check this. effectively you have the channel already cut where the nut will rest up against the fretboard, the second cut will be at the 2mm mark, then cut a further channel in the middle. The depth of each channel should be approximately 2mm deep. then using a 2mm chisel (hope you have one) carefully chisel the 'waste' out of the channel. Smooth the channel with some sandpaper and fit the nut.....or you could always do a zero fret!
    Last edited by Gavin1393; 30-11-2014 at 06:04 AM.

Just to clarify, Ultpanzi ordered this without a nut installed. However, I think he was expecting the nut channel to be done.

I assume that fret line is where the nut needs to sit up against, so he just needs to cut a parallel line to the width of the nut he's going to install and then chisel it out.

Ultpanzi, do you have the tools to do this, or do you need to send it to someone who can do it for you?

It might help to know which city you are in.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

I'm over in Sydney. I've got a whole range of hand tools so I should be able to take Gavin's way. I'll post pics once I've attempted it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Drilled the string through holes and started a rough black burst on the body and sprayed satin poly on the neck back (sorry db). Waiting on the dingotone for the body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	143 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	690   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	117 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	691  

I haven't yet started on the but cut out because I'm still practicing on offcuts for the moment.

Ultpanzi, I would recommend you wait till you order the nut so you can check accurately the width. A ST type nut is typically about 3mm thick. It's important the nut is a snug fit in the channel.
    If you have a dremel with correct width small router bit would be the best way to cut the channel running on a guide
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I have a nut and I've measured and marked it out so that its ready for me to cut once I've got the balls to do it. I have a dremel but not router bit and the neck is curved so Id need to make a curved bottom guide which isn't one of my strengths. I've grown up with hand tools so Gavin's route probably has less room for error in my case.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast