Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: robs ST-1L (Lyn #9) The Lefty

@ Woks
    Thanks Warren. Yes, I did exaggerate the tummy cut (or in my case, a belly cut), and I have used that extended elbow/forearm cut on two of my guitars now. You know me, it's all about playability and that cut seems to make it really comfortable to play.

@ Scott
    ta mate. I hadn't thought of the hammer in the butt thing!! I had a golden opportunity too when I broke a string while setting it up the first time. It just goes to show that you shouldn't try to work on guitars when you are tired and frustrated.

Thank again guys,
    rob

oh well Rob, worth de-stringing and removing the neck and have a crack. Let us know if it works, might save a neck.
    My bar display guitar had a broken truss rod but I think thats not saveable, hence its a bar display guitar, you never know might be worth the same treatment with a mallet
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I should add that when I say hold it vertically, I mean just hold the inverted neck free hanging in your hand and don't have the headstock resting on anything... you want the jolt to tranfser through the neck without risking damage to the headstock (just in case of misinterpretation).
    Scott.

thats what I assumed Weirdy, unless you want a cracked headstock !

Completed builds

Robin, that looks amazing. If all else fails, a replacement neck shouldn't be too hard to organise - couple of measurements and contact Ads to see if he has anything the same size. Should certainly be cheaper than a whole kit. You can then replace it next time you do see him. That said - the tension on a guitar neck shouldn't be that massive that it should affect it dramatically if it's all good at the moment. Pabs finished his PBH-4 ~12 months ago and if it lasted that long, you may be lucky...

Thanks again Scott and Warren. I knew exactly what you meant Scott, I will give it a try either tomorrow or Friday and let you know how it goes. As you said, I've got nothing to lose.

@ Brendan
    Thanks mate. Seeing as the kits come with "matched" necks and bodies, I was not too sure how a replacement neck would go. If it was for me I wouldn't care too much, and would be prepared to "butcher" it a bit to make it fit, but seeing as it was made for someone else I am a bit more particular.

The only good thing is that, right now, the neck is just a tad too straight, so a bit of string tension MIGHT produce the right amount of relief. As you said, I might be lucky.

Cheers guys
    rob

Woohoo

Thanks Scott! It was a brilliant idea, you just had the ends mixed up.

I removed the neck and tried hitting it from the heel end and although hard to tell it seemed that the truss rod went further into the neck. So, still figuring I had nothing to lose I protected the headstock with a few layers of clothe and, holding the neck vertically, I gave the headstock a few LIGHT taps with the mallet. Voila! It moved. A few more LIGHT taps and the rod was sitting perfectly. Slipped in the Allen key and it was moving freely. No damage to the headstock. Brilliant.

I'm not sure but if I had just released the string tension to nothing, I might have been able to do this with the neck still attached to the body. Just a thought for anybody else with the same problem.

So once again this marvelous Forum saved the day. You guys, with your help and encouragement are my Luthier brothers.

I can't want to email my brother, as right now he still thinks he's getting a dud for Christmas.

Thanks again Scott
    rob

awesome outcome Rob, well done. I might pull my bar guitar down and have a crack at this method. My truss rod hasn't moved, it just spins freely so I suspect it has snapped somewhere or the end has come out of the thread. Might try tapping the mallet toward the heel end may place the rod closer to the thread maybe

Completed builds

Definitely worth a try Warren, I hope it works for you. It seems more likely that the rod has become unscrewed rather than broken.

But if you fix this guitar, you'll have to find something else to hang over the bar.

That's fantastic news Rob, well done. I was wondering which end would work best and figured the heel would be the safest place to start. Tapping from the heel you're relying on your hand to arrest the neck's movement in the hope the truss rod continues slightly. Tapping from the headstock it would be the initial blow moving the neck and not taking the truss rod with it that inches it out... and obviously that's the one that works. Did you hold it with the headstock up or down? Tapping up with the headstock pointing down should give you a slight gravity assist.

Well, now you've got a happy brother and we've all got another technique for our 'Oh no, what now' repair & recovery toolbox. Good times.
    Scott.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast