Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Help! Busted screw (grumble)

I have the kit now, just need to make some time to complete the guitar.

Resurrecting this one. Had the same thing happen on the tuner screws for the JBA4M. Pre-drilled 1.5mm to correct depth. Wound screws in slowly but 3 have broken off. I examined the screws closely and they are certainly of inferior quality and not up to the task. Adam was commendably quick with an email reply but could offer nothing more than replacement with similar inferior screws or suggested go out and buy decent ones. I'll go the latter. Some good information above that I will be utilising today.

However, this is obviously a continuing problem that should be addressed by Pitbull and the factory, one would think.

Busted screws are not all that common of a problem. Out of more than 4k kits sold there has been maybe a dozen.
    With tuner screws, they really dont need to be driven in very tight as their function is to primarily stop the machine head spinning.
    What I do is drill the hole 3/4 of the depth (taking into account the thickness of the machine head screw tab) with a 2mm bit.
    Then I smear some wax on and gently drive it and it will cut its own way in (usually 2mm is ample)
    Never had one come out or break using this method.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Thanks DB. Having been an engineer for some 35 years, believe me when I say the screws that came with my kit were sub standard. I use the correct method of installation. The things were falling to pieces even gently extracting them. That said, below is what I have done to remedy. Hopefully this can help someone else.

1) Attempted to "slot" the broken off screws to use a small flat screwdriver to remove. Not successful.
    2) Drilled two shallow 2mm holes 180 deg apart;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_holes.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	11050

3) I then used my smallest side cutters to gently grip the broken piece and unscrew;

Name:	small_cutters.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	11051

4) This left shallow but wide holes with still plenty of meat for the new screws to grip;

Name:	small_headstock.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	355.6 KB 
ID:	11052

5) The offending rubbish screws plus a good 4 gauge (3mm) x 9mm screw from Bunnings on right;

Name:	small_screws.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	264.9 KB 
ID:	11053

6) The finished job;

Name:	small_finished.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	329.5 KB 
ID:	11054
    Last edited by baders; 03-05-2016 at 12:50 PM.

good fix Baders. The new screw heads are bigger but still looks fine
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I have used the cheap and cheerful Chinese screws on all 4 builds and no breaks.......helped them along by using the soap on thread method and a small drill bit to make the pilot holes.

Quote Originally Posted by baders View Post
    However, this is obviously a continuing problem that should be addressed by Pitbull and the factory, one would think.
    Really feel your pain baders,

I have built just over 60 guitars now. Early on in my 'learning' phase I made the mistake of allowing friction to heat up the tuner screws and suffered the frustration of trying to remove the broken screw. This was on a very expensive set of tuners I might add! Grrrrr!

To add to what has been said already. Here are my steps summarised:
    I will take my Vernier and measure the diameter of the screw.
    Next, select a drill bit roughly 2/3 to 3/4 the diameter of the screw. Measure the thread portion of the screw up against the drill bit and apply a small piece of tape around the bit to act as a depth stop. Carefully mark and then drill the pilot holes required.
    Next, using wax or soap, coat the screw.
    Select the appropriate screw driver. It must fit perfectly, not undersized or oversized as this could strip the screw.
    Without applying ANY force screw the screws into the pilot holes. It, in any way you are struggling to get the screws in, the chances are that the crew is heating up due to friction. When very thin screws heat up they snap. Stop, rewind allow the screw to cool and commence again. If you are still struggling, check that the drill bit you used is not too small (based on the recommendations).
    This has assisted me to fit the tuners on all my subsequent builds without breaking a screw - however - I do stress EVERYtime !
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

8. Liked by: wazkelly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4