Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Es-335 c-3po

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Looking good and nice shine, what did you use as a gloss?
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

So the Toneriders are Alnico IV's as I generally like a more detailed, harmonic rich sound with a bit of o'drive.

The gloss finish was "Minwax water based Polycrylin"that I pick up from the local hardware shop (not the green shed variety). Just applied with a high quality brush, let it dry and then wet n dried it smooth. The can says it can be applied over just about everything apart from red mahogany timber stain for some reason.

I started working out how I am going to get the aftermarket CTS potentiometers in through the sound hole and for the first time realised how much bigger the CTS ones are compared to the pots that come with the kit. Yikes! Almost twice the diameter at the base, including the board and contacts. It's still possible to get them in there but there is pretty well only one orientation that all them to be fed in. Guess that is why they make mini pots?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ep-4186-001_3[1].jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	685  

Hmmm electronics have driven me mildly insane so think the guitar needs to hang on the wall to check the neck glue is dry. And get to know its future neighbours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141025_011.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	718  

looking very nice Csim, the wiring on these is always a challenge. Do the CTS pots fit through the F hole ok ? Looks like you have drilled out the pot holes to suit the larger shaft size.
    What are the other axes hanging, is the LP goldtop an epiphone and is it a Str@t or Squier or a build ?
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 02-12-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Hi WB - yes they go through but only just once you solder on the metal braid wire I am using. I have actually got everything in place about 4 times and each time I get to the point of a basic sound check only to find that I have lost a solder joint with all the man - handling of the wiring harness. On the plus side I am getting better at getting the input jack and pots in place once they are through the f-hole using some thin gardening wire passed through the jack, and a thicker piece of wire with a magnet combined with some needle nose pliers to get the pots in place.

Also I did have to drill out the holes by a couple of mm to mount the cts pots, but was no drama.

The LP goldtop is an epiphone which has been an awesome guitar since the 90's when I bought it in the UK. The set-up from the guitar shop was just amazing, but I installed Gotohs, and a solid pickup selector switch to cope with the many hundreds of small gigs I have played since then.

The white guitar is a Chinese-made, Australian-retailed (non-kit) guitar I bought as a project for <$100 brand new, before I had even heard of building guitars from kits. I recently added in some Tonerider vintage pickups, Sprague cap (thank you Pitbull) and new wiring, and it sounds awesome, no more mods needed. I have also gigged with this guitar recently, but had a few backups just in case.

I am constantly impressed with the price/quality ratio of low end guitars these days compared to when I was a kid spending hundreds of bucks for some terrible str@t copy or a point headstock guitar.

Bass is a basic Yamaha 4-string for when bass-duties call.

Guitars not shown include a 6-string Cole Clark Fat Lady 2ac, and a 12-string Ovation Balladeer (bought in New Orleans)

cheers Csim, thanks for the run down on your axe collection, all sound great.
    Are you aware of the plastic tubing for pulling pots/output jack through ? 5mm works a treat with standard pots, you will need larger pipe for the larger pots. From memory the tube fit inside the output jack

Completed builds

Nope, hadn't hear or thought of it. I'll give it a go if I can find the right tubing.

yeah Csim Gavmiester thought of this and its been posted on the forum many times. Take one of the CST pots and the output jack to a hardware store and see what size tubing fits over the pot shafts, might be 7 or 8mm but the clear plastic tube stretches a bit.
    I reckon Gavmiester should patent his excellent discovery and it takes about 2 months off councilling after one has wired an ES !

Completed builds

Probably stops a lot of minor scratches to the guitar finish as well (compared to wire jigs and pliers, oh and enraged fists, teeth etc)
    Last edited by csim; 03-12-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast