Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: MMB-4 Bass Build

Yes it is. It's a Peavey Dyna Bass I bought back in 1991
    Peter H

Quote Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
    .... I run a Ampeg Fridge 8x10....
    How's your back?

don't tell me your amp is one of these Poita ? I'd hate to be your neighbours ! hahah

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810e/
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote Originally Posted by wokkaboy View Post
    so Poita you going to cut the plate for the 2nd bucker or use pup rings for this build ?
    If the pickup routes are nice and clean you could probably get away with neither pickguard or pickup rings (which I don't think they make of MM style 'buckers.

Hi All,

I need a second opinion? I’ve got the colour on the body, going to do the clear this weekend. I’ve been waiting on a three way switch to arrived which it did today. The problem is that when I routed out the area to take the switch it is now to small so I need to route out some more. I’m thinking it would be best to do this in three weeks once the clear has harden and not do it before I put the clear on because that would probably mark the colour coat. Am I on the right track thinking this.
    Peter H

My back is fine. I've used this rig for 20years and tried a lot of different bass rigs and none of them come close. When I play I never have to worry about my sound it's just rock solid. So a bit of exercise to bump in and out is worth it.
    Peter H

I guess it'll depend on your colour coat, how much you have to rout out, and your personal preference. I prefer to make alterations/adjustments as early in the process as I can, that way I have more options if something goes wrong. And, if something does go awry, it's probably going to be a lot easier to fix a colour coat than a clear coat over colour (depending on what you used). Something like a low tack masking tape may be enough to protect the colour perhaps? I've also found cork-backed placemats can be useful to protect a surface while routing. Maybe you could just pare out the rout a bit with a sharp chisel rather than having to use a router again? But, if you have a fragile/complicated colour coat and you're confident about routing once the hard clear is on then that may be the better option.
    Scott.

Thanks for the advice WeirdBits. The paint is fragile so I think I'll wait until the clear is hard. I don't have a problem with routing.
    Peter H

Need some help

I need some help with paint finish. I've notice there are some cracks in the clear coat around the machine head holes (see image) I’ve got no idea how this happen I notice this after I wet sanded and polish and now it looks like it’s flaking a bit. Should I re gloss the head stock again?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neck-05.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	656
    Peter H

Wet sanding seep perhaps? What clear are you using, how was it applied, how many coats, and how was the surface prepared before and between coats?
    Scott.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast