Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: first pitbull build ex in ash

Hey guys. Ordered the ex last night with the shielding kit, neck glue and sand paper. The view is to finish it in a high gloss silver burst. Gavin pointed out that I'll need timbermate to seal the grain then a sealer, colour then clears. All paints will be acrylic. I also want to do faux binding for the body and maybe neck.
    I'm heading in to the big smoke tomorrow so a visit to the green shed of doom and supercheap is on the cards. Quick question, apart from the sand paper kit, what other grades should I pick up.
    What are good brands of paint that will go on easy but come up a treat, and sealers. And any polish compound suggestions. Thanks guys.

Overlord of Music
    Silverburst explorer you say? Metalocalypse fan by any chance? Sounds killer, can't wait to see what you've got in store.

As for sandpaper, you want 120(ish) to 2000 or higher if you're going for a high gloss finish and a range in between. I usually try to have 120, 240, 400, 600, 800, 1200 and 2000 on hand.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

[quote]/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on June 3, 2014, 10:59
    Silverburst explorer you say? Metalocalypse fan by any chance? quote]

I was JUST gonna say 'Thunderhorse' tribute by any chance?

Damn straight. Thunderhorse is where it's at. Thanks for the help. Is a matte sealer/primer suitable for this sort of job to put over timbermate. Don't even know what timbermate is haha. Gotta do some research.

some advice on acrylic - use thin coats and give them plenty of curing time in between - check my LP build thread to see why. Enjoy mate, sounds like a killer project

I am a lover of the explorer. Looking forward to seeing this

Thanks mate. Going to get all the paint equipment today while I'm in airlie beach so as soon as the kit reaches me I'll be all sand papered up and ready to go!

Question for the guys in the know. This guitar will never see standard tuning. Do the stock buckers muddy up in an ash body using drop tunings? Or could you reccomend a pickup from the pbg selection? The dimarzio d activator x caught my eye, so maybe something like that.

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from stan on June 3, 2014, 15:23
    some advice on acrylic - use thin coats and give them plenty of curing time in between - check my LP build thread to see why. Enjoy mate, sounds like a killer project
    Thanks for posting this. I'm hoping gloss black is easier on me than the satin. Stacks of good info here. Your a legend.

Overlord of Music
    Check out the Tonerider range of pickups. For the price, they blow everything else out of the water.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast