Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Es-335 c-3po

Es-335 c-3po

Well here goes, my very first build.

All the parts are present and accounted for and in good condition. The maple top looks great, maybe the gold looks a bit cheesier than expected, but I am think about swapping for Toneriders anyway.

I'm a little bit worried about getting all the electronics through the f-hole and maintaining all the solder joints etc, but am sure its possible.

Pictures are of a dry assembly to check inventory and general fit, then with a few layers of Shellac.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140905_007.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	455
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140907_029.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	456  

Lovely cap. The shellac looks cool.
    As a tip before you install/ wire check your pot in the nearest hole for height so you only have to do it once and work out spacers etc.
    I installed mine and didnt realise till later when i fitted knobs that they sat way off the body due to the thinness of the top.
    Pulling pots out and trying to reinstall ended up with lots of broken connections, resoldering and frustration.
    Theres a few different methods to install in the forums so have a look through some of the build diaries for the ES.
    Tony

great start to a first build, enjoy

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Welcome and enjoy your first build! Nothing beats the satisfaction at the end when you plug in the axe and crank it up! Like the shellac
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Es 335 as a first build. Very brave...
    Wiring can be more than a little tricky....even for the experienced!

Welcome aboard csim.
    I'm about to start one of these and have also upgraded to gold AC4 Toneriders. Tony makes a good point about checking the pots for fit. You could probably find some extra nuts for the pots so you can set the spacing easily. This method of mounting is best for pots and switches as it doesnt apply any load to the top of the components body. I've broken a few switches that way and always use two nuts now with no more problems.
    That shellac looks real good. Can't wait to see this finished and strung up. Good luck and have fun!

Can someone enlighten me on why ES wiring is so difficult? It just looks like Les Paul wiring right? 2H/3 way/2V/2T

It's a bugger to load in through the f-hole Nick but I agree that the circuit itself shouldn't be too hard.

I actually think that if you build the wiring loom on a template outside of the guitar you should be able to do a better job of dressing everything neatly than you could working inside a cavity. I've worked on aircraft instruments in the past and they can be a real pain for access to wiring so I'm not too scared of an ES.

I think the Es-335 wiring is the only wiring to have an entire thread (and team of psychologists) dedicated to it...

DJ's right - circuit wiring is no more difficult than a LP. Real challenge is in getting the wiring into the right places through the F hole without breaking any connections. It means that wire length needs to be pretty right, pots need to be set up right, solders need to be solid and good, etc... Limited room for error.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast