Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Introduction to Dingotone

Firstly, I want to thank all of you for the encouragment I have recieved with the development of Dingotone

As those of you who have been forum members for some time will know, I am a tone freak and not a fan of synthetic finishes.
    This has lead me to develop my own finishes with the citeria that they must be made from natural products.

Through much experimentation, research and a lot of raw materials I have been able to come up with an easy to use and reliable product.
    My last three builds have been finished with Dingotone and I am very happy with the results.

As Dingotone does not contain any chemical driers, it will take longer to cure than most proprietary finishes so some patience is required.... But seeing as you spent all that time sanding it is well worth taking your time with the finish.

After all, it is the finish that will catch peoples eye first.

As time goes by, I will be adding more colours and some new products.

I look forward to any feedback and colour suggestions you may have.

Cheers,
    DB

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I was gonna ask about why the shift from wudtone but then i saw why on the wudtone page of the site (expensive import costs). dingotone is a much more reasonable price which is awesome.
    how many colours are you looking to offer? or are you planning to stick to more natural wood tones? im guessing cos youre mixing it yourself itll make custom shades easier too for those who want them

also whats the application like compared to wudtone? might be good to do a couple more tutorial videos, also one for the dingo wax would be good too

Something like the Dark Tease - already have an IB-5 waiting, pining for a hot colour to bring out it's natural beauty...

Hey Ben,
    Thanks mate there are vids currently in production.

The application is very similar to the afore mentioned product.

Yes, there will be many more colours added as I source the pigments and dyes.

One of the many development dramas was finding colours that are UV stable but this will be overcome.

There will be custom colours available as well as dedicated burst kits.

Brendan, I am working on that one for you Buddy

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Ben - Having tried Dingotone, it's easier than Wudtone to apply - smoother and smells heaps better. Seems to also give a more even coat - i.e., no lines where it takes a minute to get back to the wet edge of the stain. You can get around them in Wudtone, but they just don't seem to appear with Dingotone. Downside is that as DB said, it takes a couple of days to dry properly, not one as per Wudtone.

ah cool, im looking forward to seeing some of the results once everyone on here gets their hands on it. ill almost certainly end up trying it on my next build

Does Dingotone work well on all timbers? Or are there ones that perform better than others?
    Looking forward to trying it out on the next build. That "Black Stump" looks intriguing... do you have any pics of that one yet?

So far I have used it on Maple, Mahogany, Basswood, Blackwood, Iroko and Sapele...
    Seems to take well even on the notoriously difficult Rock Maple necks.

There will be a pic as soon as I can find one that is hiding somewhere in my pictures folder.

Great work DB. Just wondering, why does colourless have a stain and intensifying coat??

Good point.. We decided to run with generic names for the three parts to the finish.
    The stain coat is also a foundation for the intensifying coat as it contains a different blend of oils and waxes to form a good base.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast