Thread: Kevin's RCA-4 build - first build

Kevin's RCA-4 build - first build

Hi team! First build here, will start posting pics once I've got something worth posting. Out of the box the wood looks to be in good shape, all the hardware present, and a bit of sanding.

Will be finishing using Wudtone Emerald Isle with a high gloss finish. Neck will be vintage yellow. I'm still trying to decide if the headstock will end up green or 'vintage'.... I think that's going to depend on how well the green takes on the body.

As my first build, any recommendations/tips would be welcome!

Hi Kevin,
    welcome to the forum and awesome kit to start on a RCA-4.
    Do a mock build and make sure everything fits.
    Then start sanding about 180 to 320 grit. You may think about grain filling ash bodies have a fairly coarse grain. Have a look at some of the Timbermate grain filler colours available. I'd think about a darker colour.
    Ask any questions you have and would love to see pics of the kit you scored !
    Is emerald isles green colour ? Been a while since I used wudtone
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 24-12-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Emerald Isle is green. Has a base coat and a color coat, so should be pretty dark.

I did a mock build and everything seems good to go. I'll need to play with the pick guard and how that fits on with the neck, but I think that's more my unfamiliarity with the bass than with any issues.

Thanks, Wokka. Definitely appreciate the tips!

no worries Kevin, where are you from ?
    You may have to file some edges of the pickguard for it to fit the neck heel. Fit the pickups and make sure they all fit.

Have a read of other RCA-4 and RC-4 build diaries

So are you building hte kit with the stock hardware ?
    Last edited by wokkaboy; 24-12-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Completed builds

Hey Kevin! I am in the middle of my first build too! If you get Tapatalk on your smart phone adding images to a post is super easy.

Looking forward to watching your axe take shape.

Ben

Hey Bungee! Will have to look into that!

Wokka, going with stock hardware as it's my first build and if I'm going to pooch it, I'd rather do it with an inexpensive build. Plus I don't play bass, so... Definitely going to be looking at the other RCA-4 and RC-4 build diaries to see what's to look into, and based on scale length I likely will be trimming the pick guard, but that's not a huge issue.

I'm in the USA, so a bit of a time difference. More to come!

no worries Kevin, good luck with the build and if you have any questions post them here and there's lots of help

Completed builds

Hi kevin, glad to see another rca-4 building on here. I did started on mine last week, and i think its a nice kit for a first build. Youre welcome sharing, asking or anything else about it.

About pickguard It will be need reshaping if youre looking put neck all along to the body. Try to mock build trimming the neck until the in between 20 fret matches with the binding side of the long horn body (as long i can remember, im on vacation now). if you Take a look of any RB bass then you will notice). If you choose this option, i encourage you to give more stability to the gluing neck refilling all cavities you can. That's the way i'll go.

S!
    Last edited by sansan; 26-12-2015 at 03:21 AM.

Ok, it's been forever and a few days since I've posted this. I do taxes in the states, so the first part of the year is crazy busy getting ready for it, and then we get even crazier busy... but that's just an excuse to find some sanity by getting back into the build.

Trying to get pictures to upload... but not much luck yet.

Essentially at the point of setting the neck. It's clamped at home right now and I'll pull the clamps once I get home. I ended up not trimming the pickguard as I was able to set the neck with a small gap (which will be filled) between the bottom of the neck and the bottom of the neck 'cavity'.

Once I sort out pictures, I'll get those up. The green came out nice. It shows a decent amount of woodgrain through it and with the 'stock' pickguard will have a nice retro feel to it.