Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Switchable Tele/Esquire wiring

If it was me, I'd install just the pickup and then use some clip leads to try the different coil combo's to work out which are worthwhile (green-red pair for south, white-black pair for north etc), then install the control plate with a 0.022 cap and only if it's too bright switch to a 0.047. Also, 500K pots help humbuckers keep some brightness whereas 250K pots will reduce it slightly.
    As much as I'd love to have a play round with different wiring setups the fact that I'm massively over budget with this one I just can't go and buy a 4 way switch just to find out it the tone variation is negligible.
    I'll definitely try your idea in regards to the different caps and see if there's any noticeable change though, also I already scored some Bournes mini 500k's right back at the start of the build so they'll be going straight in once I begin wiring.
    Cheers for the handy info man.

Just a quick question for the wiring guru(s) out there (weirdy)...
    I'm just getting ready to sort out the electronics on this Esquire and had planned on using a CRL switch I had laying round from a previous upgrade and noticed the lug configuration is a bit different from the Seymour Duncan diagram (they're using an Oak Grigsby switch).
    I had a play round and made up a diagram for my CRL switch but I'd just like some verification that it's correct before I move forward, cheers in advance.

Looks fine. Same layout, just a different offset in the lug positions.

As long as your red and white wires (shown in the diagrams) are connecting to the 'common' lug on their respective sides then it's fine. If you're uncertain just have a close look at the switch as you move it through the positions. On each side there will be one lug that is always connected in each position, that's the side's 'common', and they'll be at opposite ends. For example, in this image of a CRL 3-way the common lugs are the red and yellow(gold) wires.

Scott.

Beautiful, thanks man:-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3