Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Switchable Tele/Esquire wiring

A few months ago someone (Eliot, maybe?) mentioned interest in a switchable Tele/Esquire, which got me thinking. Anyway, I sketched out a couple of ideas at the time but only recently had a chance to draw them up properly and test them out on the bench… and I probably got a little carried away in the process. I ended up with five different designs, each with versions for both 3 and 4-way Tele's. I don't know if they'll be of use to anyone, but I figured I post them anyway. I haven't mounted them in a guitar yet, but I have tested them on my 1-string test rig with a set of Toneriders (one of the designs will be going into my current Tele build).

For those unfamiliar with Esquires, they just have a Bridge pickup and a selector switch that provides three settings: Volume only, Volume & Tone, Volume & cap/resistor filter. Basically, three flavours of Bridge. So, the goal was to come up with a circuit that would allow a typical Bridge + Neck Telecaster to be switched over to a Bridge-only style Esquire. I think the traditional Esquire circuit is a little restrictive in this situation, so I've included some variations which I think are more flexible and generally useful, so feel free to skip ahead to the last two designs (here and here).

I've tried to make the schematics as clear as possible and to show what connects to where using the different colours, but not necessarily how it should be connected. For instance, all of the caps are drawn with coloured wires connecting them to show where they connect, but in reality you would probably connect them directly between points just using the cap legs (with heatshrink where needed) etc. The 0.047uF cap connected to the Tone pots can be changed to 0.022uF's, if that's your preference. On the standard Esquire circuits I've listed the caps as 0.05uF, but just use 0.047uF's. The grey wire linking the pots on all the schematics is only needed if your shielding or control plate isn't already linking the pot casings. And, I'm sure Lawry can pull me up if I've made any glaring mistakes… which is probably likely.

First up, a standard 3-way Tele that switches over to a standard Esquire using a mini toggle switch. It uses a 3-way lever switch, 3PDT mini toggle, and 0.05uF (0.047uF) caps with a 3K3 resistor.

Tele mode: 1. Bridge, 2. Bridge + Neck, 3. Neck.
    Esquire (Bridge only) mode: 1. Volume, 2. Volume & Tone, 3. Volume & filter caps.

Here's the same circuit applied to a 4-way Tele. This requires the 4-way Tele mod on the Neck pickup (to separate Neck - from ground/shield), a 4-way lever switch, 4PDT mini toggle, 0.05uF (0.047uF) caps and a 3K3 resistor.

Tele mode: 1. Bridge, 2. Bridge + Neck (parallel), 3. Bridge + Neck (series), 4. Neck.
    Esquire (Bridge only) mode: 1. Volume, 2. Volume & Tone, 3. Volume & filter caps, 4. Mute (no output).

(most 4-way circuits have the series setting in position 4 but I prefer still having the Neck in the last position on the switch)

Scott.

I've been calling this next version a "1 cap Esquire" for convenience, but it's more just a treble cut circuit. It's the same format as the previous design but instead of the 2 cap/resistor layout of the traditional Esquire, it just uses a single 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap to bleed off some highs (note: this cap is a factor of 10 smaller than the tone caps we normally use). You can experiment with cap values from 1500pF to 6800pF or higher to suit your own tastes, but 4700 is a good starting point (it gave a nice crisp mid sound with the Toneriders on my test rig).

3-way Tele/1 cap Esquire, requires a 3 way lever switch, DPDT mini toggle, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

Tele mode: 1. Bridge, 2. Bridge + Neck, 3. Neck
    Esquire (Bridge only) mode: 1. Volume, 2. Volume & Tone, 3. Volume & treble cut.

4-way Tele/1 cap Esquire, requires 4-way Tele mod on the Neck pickup (to separate Neck - from ground/shield), a 4-way lever switch, 3PDT mini toggle, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

Tele mode: 1. Bridge, 2. Bridge + Neck (parallel), 3. Bridge + Neck (series), 4. Neck.
    Esquire (Bridge only) mode: 1. Volume, 2. Volume & Tone, 3. Volume & treble cut, 4. Mute (no output).

Scott.

This design uses the traditional Esquire filtering, but instead of being restricted to just the Bridge it can be applied to any pickup/combination. It uses two push/pull pots and allows you to select Bridge, Bridge + Neck, Neck as per normal, but then apply the Volume only, Volume & Tone, or Volume & filter caps to whichever pickup is selected.

3-way Tele with any position Esquire, requires a 3-way lever switch, 2 push/pull pots, 0.05uF (0.047uF) caps with a 3K3 resistor.

1. Bridge, 2. Bridge + Neck, 3. Neck
    Volume 'up': Volume only.
    Volume 'down', Tone 'down': Volume & Tone.
    Volume 'down', Tone 'up': Volume & filter caps.

4-way Tele with any position Esquire, requires 4-way Tele mod on the Neck pickup (to separate Neck - from ground/shield), a 4-way lever switch, 2 push/pull pots, 0.05uF (0.047uF) caps with a 3K3 resistor.

1. Bridge, 2. Bridge + Neck (parallel), 3. Bridge + Neck (series), 4. Neck.
    Volume 'down', Tone 'up': Volume & filter caps.

Scott.

This is a 1 cap Esquire/treble cut that can be applied to any pickup/combination. It uses two push/pull pots and allows you to select Bridge, Bridge + Neck, Neck as per normal, but then apply the Volume only, Volume & Tone, or Volume & treble cut to whichever pickup is selected. Replace the 4700pF cap with values from 1500pF to 6800pF or higher to suit your own tastes.

3-way Tele with any position 1 cap Esquire, requires a 3-way lever switch, 2 push/pull pots, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

Volume 'down', Tone 'up': Volume & treble cut.

4-way Tele with any position 1 cap Esquire, requires 4-way Tele mod on the Neck pickup (to separate Neck - from ground/shield), a 4-way lever switch, 2 push/pull pots, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

Volume 'down', Tone 'up': Volume & treble cut.

Scott.

This is another 1 cap/treble cut design that can be applied to any pickup/combination, but this time uses a DP3T On/On/On mini toggle. This is a nice simple layout that is easy to tweak and keeps the pots free if you want to add push/pulls for other switching options. I'll probably be using this layout on a build I'm currently working on. Replace the 4700pF cap with values from 1500pF to 6800pF or higher to suit your own tastes.

3-way Tele with any position 1 cap Esquire, requires a 3-way lever switch, DP3T (On/On/On) mini toggle, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

Mini toggle: 1. Volume only, 2. Volume & Tone, 3. Volume & treble cut.

4-way Tele with any position 1 cap Esquire, requires 4-way Tele mod on the Neck pickup (to separate Neck - from ground/shield), a 4-way lever switch, DP3T (On/On/On) mini toggle, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

The advantage of this DP3T layout and the push/pull circuits is that they can be applied to any build with a Volume-Tone pair, regardless of pickup configuration. So, you can use them on TL's, JR's, even LP's etc.

Scott.

Mentor
    Bloody hell, Weirdy. That's a lot of work you've put in! It took me a good ten minutes to go through all the set ups and work out what you'd done. There are certainly plenty of options to get any colour of sound you want/need. Impressive work, man!
    Cheers.

!! awesome Wierdy, top work there, great resource

No Scott, not carried away at all.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Ok Frets, just to prove I didn't get carried away… here's one more diagram This is what's going into my current build. It's basically the same as the previous diagram but with some added push/pull shenanigans. It's got GFS Surf 90's with the neck pickup modified to separate the negative from the shield (ala Tele 4-way mod, some disassembly required), a Push/Pull neck phase switch on the Volume, and a Push/Pull treble cut cap select on the Tone. The treble cut caps are currently 2200pF and 4700pF, but may change depending on the final sound once everything is assembled in the guitar.

4-way Tele with any position 1 cap Esquire, Neck phase switching, and Treble cut cap select: requires 4-way mod on the Neck pickup (to separate Neck - from ground/shield), a 4-way lever switch, DP3T (On/On/On) mini toggle, 2 Push/Pull pots, 2200pF (0.0022uF) cap, 4700pF (0.0047uF) cap, and a 0.047uF cap.

Volume 'down': Neck in phase.
    Volume 'up', Neck out of phase.
    Tone 'down': 4700pF treble cut cap.
    Tone 'up': 2200pF treble cut cap.

Now, where did I put those bass wiring sketches...

Scott.

Mentor
    So tell me, Weirdy. If I came round to your place and picked it up for a bit of a strum, would I need in-service training first?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast