Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Direct mount pickups

Anyone tried doing a direct mount with the PitBull humbucker rout?? Cos I was just thinking that usually they have a shallower flat rout floor for the direct mounted pickups but I was wondering if it was possible to do on the PitBull kits too.

I don't see why it would be a problem, you'd just have to add some wood or increase the length of the spring + screws, because you're going to lose a lot of gain/output on the pickups when they are too far from the strings.

I was thinking that if I had to add wood, I may as well shim it perfectly to get a straight body mount. I was just wondering if anyone had tried it and I could do it without much extra work.

Overlord of Music
    I've done it with my IB-1. I used foam tape like this to pack under the pickups.
    The routs aren't as neat as you would expect for top mounting, I used black shielding paint in the cavities instead of copper tape.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thanks for the tip Pablopepper. Do you know where I can get that kinda stuff?? Btw, nice IB-1. Blows mine out of the water. I like the Duncans (I'm guessing).

you can get the foam tape from hardware stores

Sounds great. Thanks!!

Overlord of Music
    I got the shielding paint on eBay. It's messy, expensive stuff, but it serves it's purpose. Are you building an IB1?
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

You can also use high impact foam such as the stuff those exercise mat thingys are made out of.
    Readily available from clark rubber or your local k mart/big doublya. I use this and the leftover makes a great work top protector for working on your axe.
    If you dont want to use the expensive, messy and not very efficient shielding paint you can always use a matt black enamel paint over the copper tape.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Pablopepper, my IB-1 is done. This is for the next kit I intend to build.
    DB, thanks!! I have a few of those mats lying around so Ill probably use that as a nice cheap and available solution. I also have some matt black aluminium foil thats pretty thick and works well for shielding pup cavities, so Ill probs use that and then copper tape for the control cavity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast