Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Achieving a High Gloss finish with acrylics

[quote]/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from maxaxe on April 6, 2014, 18:31
    Absolutely fantastic tutorials & so well presented
    The Tele came out almost unbelievably too . . .

I have a project in mind that will benefit enormously from the info, tips etc you have imparted.

Q1: Do you think a scaled down version (just enough to fit a guitar body) of your booth would be OK?

Q2: Did you use a bog standard extractor fan on the flexible duct to outdoors?

Q3: I've got Createx Wicked acrylics on hand for Tees etc. D'you reckon they're OK for your method?

Thanks

Max
    Hey max, you need enough room to deal with overspray but a smaller version of Waldo would be feesable with good extraction. My extraction fan is a little more than your bathroom one. I will post a picture up of mine which came from good old bunnings in a couple of weeks when im home from over seas. Createx acrylic should be fine to use but i would try a sample piece of wood first.

Guys im glad the videos will come of use to people, and I thank you all for your great response to them. I will gladly put a more detailed video of my spray booth for others to either recreate or at least get an idea for them selves. As you can see I get great results and practice will make perfect. And Gav Adam will not be getting his hands on this TLA lol.....I love playing it too much.

Hey Jarrod, Wicked paint will work fine, just don't do a heavy first coat of PU clear coat and let it flash for 15-18 minutes before following coats.

Jarrod, would love to see more of the design of waldo!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Soon as im back gav i will sort it.

as everyone has said great vids Jarrod, very informative. I've seen those water tanks you use for the spray booth, wish I had room to set one up. So are you based in Perth Jarrod ? Would you mind if I checked it out sometime when you are back home ?
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Be great to catch up Wokka

Bloody brilliant setup Jarrod and reaaly informative vid as well!

When you are back we must team up and I will give you a Dingotone stain kit to road test.. I am in Mount Richon so it should be easy to meet up.

Now for the not so good news...you have earned two weeks in the Naughty Room for mentioning the Big Green Shed Full Of S*it on the forum...

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

That would be great DB. I would like to try some and let it dry off for a few weeks then see if clearcoat will go over the top. Im 100% sure everyone in the PB family would want to use a local Aussi brew. And man your colours look sensational. Anyway two weeks in the Naughty room when I get back hey , I shall bring bear and a bucket of KFC lads.
    Did wanna ask if your brew pre mineral additives could be replaced with an Alac 20 thinner for us clearcoat boys.

Hmmmm, I have no idea what Alac is... so we will have to meet up and discuss this!

None of my ingredient are mineral based, I have chosen to go 100% natural products.

I will be working up a series of water and alcohol based stains if this is any help?
    (No Woks, not the drinkable kind of alcohol)

Look forward to working on this with you Jarrod

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast