Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wudtone Distribution in Australia

If you've been on our Forum for a while, you would be aware of the issues Pit Bull Guitars have with importing Wudtone. The fact that it is classified as a "Dangerous Good" means that it costs us a small fortune to get through Customs. It adds about 50% to the average landed cost for every order.

Andy (from Wudtone) has tried his very best to help us get over this hurdle, but, after 12 months of selling Wudtone, we can now look at the hard data and see that we are losing money on the product. A lot of money.

So, as much as we love the product, I'm afraid we will not be ordering any more Wudtone Custom Guitar Finish. We have good stock now, but that will be the last.

Andy is working on a new Australian distributor and we wish them luck in overcoming the pricing issues.

The good news is that we will soon have a comparable Guitar finish that will be made locally from non-hazardous materials, for a reasonable price. Stay tuned for an announcement.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

wow, mixed feelings. Very excited at the thought of a new, local, finish to try... but, very sad that PBG will no longer be supplying Wudtone once the current stock runs out. I sort of see PBG kits and Wudtone as very much linked, especially with the fantastic results that have been achieved with the pairing - so it really is the end of an era.

It's sad, but if the costs are too high then you have no choice but to change, and we can just be grateful that PBG has carried Wudtone for as long as it has. Thanks Adam, and thanks Andy for a great product and here's hoping you can get a new Australian distributor.
    Scott.

Ads,
    Understand the need to cut those parts of the business that aren't working - as you've said somewhere before - you plan on being around for a while... Great also that you've sourced something locally before you've run out. Great to hear and thanks for the heads up... Will miss that Dark Tease though...

Mentor
    Damn that's a shame, but looking forward to seeing Plan B.

Chin up, folks!
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

Hey Adam,
    Yes, it's a shame, but we all appreciate your efforts and understand that business is business. The fact that you have another option waiting in the wings just goes to show the lengths you will go to to give your loyal customers continuity of service. All your efforts are very much appreciated.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Business is business, if you can't sell it for a profit, there's no point... Wudtone is amazing stuff whether PBG sells it or not, I used it on two guitars (one still in progress) and the level of finish is amazing, such a shame to see a friend of the business having to find another supplier...

Let's hope for a better future with the other finish! And Ads, will you still stock the Wudtone bridge plates adn pickups by any chance?

Thanks for the heads up Adsy, no point continuing if PBG are making a loss, look forward to the locally made stains and new pricing. I've had great experience with wudtone and will always regard it highly.
    I just hope DB stocked up on conch girl ! haha
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

That's a shame, but I understand that you can't continue if the red tape is making it too costly. You have to make the hard choices to keep the business viable.
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Sad to hear. Looks like extensions are going to be needed on the naughty room.

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from DanMade on February 26, 2014, 10:19
    Sad to hear. Looks like extensions are going to be needed on the naughty room.
    Way ahead of you...work is proceeding quite well in the Naughty corner err, room umm, arena!

Woks is responsible for WiFi. Brendan for the Fire Retardant, AJ for the beer fridges and general catering....even DB has offered to assist me with project management if he ever gets off his neighbors roof...

Pity that we could not have obtained the recipe under license from Wudtone, this may have made it all the more viable. I do think that anyone wanting to take this venture on, on the current basis is going to find similar problems as we did. Except that to make money on it they will need to up the price somewhat.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast