Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Replacing Fret Dots

I build plastic model kits as a hobby and this got me to thinking - has anybody attempted to carefully paint the tops of those dots with model paint?

I am thinking about changing the color of my position marker dots from dull white to red. That would be no different from painting a small plastic model. I could do it neatly - they make all kinds of paint, too. Just wondering.

Bad idea?

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Sure you could do that. I think it'd probably wear off fairly quickly, unless it was under a sealing coat, but you could touch it up with string changes I suppose.

There are a few places that do vinyl fret markers.. I wonder if they'd do red dots to got straight on top?
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Mountain View Post
    Sure you could do that. I think it'd probably wear off fairly quickly, unless it was under a sealing coat, but you could touch it up with string changes I suppose.

There are a few places that do vinyl fret markers.. I wonder if they'd do red dots to got straight on top?
    Thanks for the validation. Paint wearing off problem....hmmmm. I could spray paint and clear coat these stickers from Amazon before sticking them on.

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-D...uments&sr=1-10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B02F9AF9-21C6-49AC-8A7E-7C5CB8E8E14B.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	407.6 KB 
ID:	36697

I guess the problem is workmanship...in order to look good, the markers should be flush with the fretboard. Too much paint, and they’d be sticking up.

It might be worth avoiding having to drill and pull out the old dots. Man, that seems like a pain!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3