Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: A quick tube (valve) fuzz box

That is a work or art Lawry, thank you for posting it for all our benefit.

What is the heat like from the 12AU7? Caged fully external mount or maybe socket inside box with half tube out through hole etc?

As an aside, have you checked out the AX84 projects? And, if so, what do you think of the October associate project? The Studio version (with FX loop and dual 6SN7's options) looks very interesting, particularly the preamp, but the Club is also tempting (albeit a lot more costly than something like the Lamington). I re-tubed my 5watter yesterday and your fuzz box project has now reignited my urge to build one... maybe

Scott.

Looks great Lawry! Certainly a lot more advanced than mine! Reckon it'll be a cracker!

Mentor
    Hey Scott. Thanks man.
    There's a bit of heat from the valve heaters (about 2 watts) but I'm going to enclose it inside a box for robustness and drill air holes to let the heat out.
    I've visited AX84 heaps of times. They have tons of valve related info and a great forum. I also had a look at the link for the pre and 2W amp and they look cool.
    If you're interested in the 2W amp I built into the Vox box, see below. This is for info only. I accept no responsibility for any builds. But it works perfectly for me. The tag board is available from Jaycar.
    Cheers

You really are determined to get me playing with dangerous voltages, aren't you?

Thanks for the schematic, it looks good, I'll file it away for future unsafe experiments.

Scott.

Hi Lawry, Thanks so much for posting the circuit, layout and all The other details. Your pedal sounds awesome! I'm definitely going to make one.
    Sourcing the parts on the interweb now..

Cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Mentor
    Hi Gav.
    Just had a look at the schematic I posted and noticed an error. The gain pot is shown as 250kA (log) and should be 250kB (linear). If you put in a log pot there it will still work but you will get 90% of your drive in the first 10% of rotation (ish). The connection diagram shows the correct value though. I'll update the schematic soon. Sorry man.

Mentor
    Right.
    After making a deal with Scott (Weirdbits) that I will finish the Purgatory Pedal and he will start on his new hollowbody kit, I made a new start today. Originally I designed this pedal with a voltage multiplier that used a 12 volt AC plug pack but I have now redesigned it to use 12 volts DC with a multiplier based around a hex inverter chip.This lets me use my pedal board power supply that only has DC outputs. The new schematic and layout is shown below for those who want it. I've hooked it up to my amp and am very happy with the sound.
    So... tomorrow it's off to Jaycar to buy an enclosure.
    Your turn Weirdy.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! That's what I get for making deals... but you're still only half way there Good idea with the switch to DC.

Scott.

Mentor
    And, young Scott, you have mad a deal with the devil. Or at least his Dirty Angel. So be prepared for Purgatory.

Today's phase:
    Got me a box and mounted everything inside. (Weird Note: For some reason it picks up more noise inside the box so I'll have to work on that).
    However, it's getting closer.

Next step is to come up with some artwork to make the box look perty.

Did you get the increased noise issue sorted out, pot/tube proximity maybe?

I was about to order some bits for a couple of little side projects and I thought 'hmm... maybe a purgatory too', but I just use a 9V DC supply and don't really want to run a 12 as well. So, wizard of electrickery... any suggesions for a 9V version?

Scott.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast