Thread: Updating Mini Humbuckers on Firebird

Hi.
    I am new to the community and mid-way through my first build (SG-2). Thoroughly enjoying the process and learning heaps!

I am about to purchase the Firebird kit (FB-1) and will want to upgrade the mini humbuckers on it. I am considering GFS minis - particularly their fat overwound minis, as I am looking for that kind of tone. Has anyone here upgraded Firebird pups? Recommendations?

On the GFS website they say that their "Fat Mini - Fat Alnico V's" are designed to fit the Firebird, and their "Fat Mini - Overwound Alnicos" are "P90 soapbar style minis" - which I think means that they are the same size pups but with a different mounting plate. Is this correct? I don't want to buy a pickup that won't fit straight into the firebird.

Thanks!

Overlord of Music
    There are two types of mounting available for the mini humbuckers. You want the 'Firebird Style Metal Trim Ring' type as the others are designed to replace P-90s which the FB-1 kit is not routed for.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thanks!

The FB-1 kit already comes with the trim rings, so I assume that any mini-humbucker will fit straight into that. In other words, my understanding is that when a supplier such as GFS advertises an overwound "fat mini humbucker" with a "universal P90 soapbar trim ring", that it is simply a standard sized mini humbucker with a P90 trim ring - so that I can discard the trim ring and mount the pup in the supplied FB-1 trim ring. Is that correct?

Sorry to be pedantic - but I want to be certain before I fork out the dollars.

Cheers

Overlord of Music
    I would assume so, but can not be 100% sure. If it were me I'd just go with the Fat Alnico Vs to be sure.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

Thanks again.

After more careful research I have discovered that while all mini-humbuckers are the same size (2 5/8" x 1 1/8" ), the spacing between the mounting screw holes varies. This means that minis with a P90 trim ring won't generally fit into a Firebird trim ring. The safest course appears to be to do as you suggested - purchasing pups that are designed for the Firebird.

Thanks for your help.