Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with a headstock design.

Hey guys, I was wondering if this design would be possible with the necks that Pitbull Guitars sell, I figured I'd probably need a left handed neck on a right handed guitar so that it can be shaped to this angle, but would it hold without some sort of bracing? If not, is there anyway I could reinforce it?

Thanks,

Brody.

The pitbull necks are not drilled for the tuners, so, I would think/ presume yes, you could go that design
    Projects:
    LP-1A
    TL1-A
    LP-1Completed
    TL-1Completed
    Yamaha rebuild: Completed
    Mako -Scratch designed: Completed
    PUP winder: Completed

Facebook : www.facebook.com/andrew.johns.1272010

Can't help with the answer Brody but.... mmmmm.. love BlackMachine guitars!

Brody - have a look at MaxAxe's Stealthcaster (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_...iewtopic&t=290). That shows that you can do all sorts of things with the necks. If you get a lefty neck you will need to make a nut or buy a premade one - can be done, but if you don't have the tools, it can be expensive to get them if you are only wanting one neck done. Overall I think it's possible - I'd probably look at some form of bracing, but certainly possible.

Hey guys, I asked Brody to post this question here as my main concern was doing that shape headstock in Chinese Maple. I'd be worried about the integrity of the wood and whether it would hold up under tension. I know Perry Ormsby does this headstock style, but I'm sure the wood he's using is far superior.

If you think it will be ok in our kits then we can order Brody a 24 fret maple neck in left handed configuration, with a blank headstock.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

I wouldn't try it, the first time it took a knock, i think there is a fair chance that it will break.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

My Stealthcaster one is strong enough by virtue of the tuner posts coming in "horizontally" relative to the 'stock, thus allowing really "deep" maple sections for rigidity against tension.
    I'm no expert, but I agree with Gavin that the proposed 'stock would be risky without special attention.

Looking at the headstock of the BlackMachine site (http://www.blackmachine.net/gallery.htm) it looks like they are a laminated neck / headstock though with a bound edge it's hard to tell. That would give it additional strength. Personally I think it would be a risky proposition - though you could get something close - without taking so much out of the headstock - keep at least a nut's width through the whole headstock - could still be quite pointy, but not as "swept".

Overlord of Music
    As Adam said Perry Ormsby's HypeMachines have a similar headstock (I like it way more than the Blackmachine) and all of those necks are laminated.

'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

There would be ways you could approximate the shape while leaving more wood on the headstock. You could possibly use a router to make a two level headstock like on the Tardiscaster.(I can't remember who made that one so I can't look up the build diary for it.)
    Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast