Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome Support Group

IF you have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and need help. Let us know here.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

What is G.A.S.?

The uncontrollable need to purchase "just one more" guitar to satisfy an inner desire that knows no boundries! A growing epidemic, this compulsive disorder can be triggered by the mere sight of a guitar and typically results in a financial transaction.

GAS is an affliction that affects scores of musicians worldwide with no regard to race, creed or colour . Severe GAS sufferers have been known to even hide their disease from their spouse or significant other. Imagine that!

There is no known cure however effective palliative treatments to minimize the symptoms can be found in every music store, internet retailer, industry publication or guitar show!

GAS unfortunately, does not just involve guitars as what would an electric guitar be without an amp? And what about that effect pedal? New or old, it doesn't matter! The Big 3 (Martin/Gibson/Fender), custom builder, obscure manufacturer or import. And of course your own creation!

Of course practically everything with strings that you pluck, pick or strum can be associated with the disease. A mandolin player may suffer from MAS (Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome) or the affliction may cause BAS (Bass or Banjo Acquisition Syndrome). Of course there are guitar specific forms such as RAS (Resophonic Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) or even the catch all OAS (Odd Stringed Instrument Acquisition Syndrome).

GAS is an extremely debilitating disease that can require years of intense therapy to achieve even brief periods of remission. It has the ability to mutate into other musical instrument syndromes making for a complete cure highly improbable. Only through incredible discipline, including but not limited to, the avoidance of any musical instrument related publication, website, store or other temptation that could lead to an acquisition and ultimately a complete relapse.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

I seem to have GPAS - guitar parts acquisition syndrome

yes it seems everyone on the forum has some form or another of the large varieties of GAS. If Adam never started the Pit Bull Guitar company then we all probably wouldn't be building axes and having a blast !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Jumping Jack Flash - it's a .................. 8O

Clever spiel, awesome photo . . .

I admit I do have GAS... Maybe even BAS...

Hi my name is Tim and I have BAS

Hello Tim, my name is Simon and I'm a GAS sufferer too, I currently have 5 electric guitars and two Basses, I suspect that I'm also developing AAS (Amp Acquisition Syndrome) too, since I have 5 amps as well.

Hmm... Between my wife and I, (mostly me to be honest) we have 7 electrics, 2 acoustics and a bass, and I have 2 more electrics partially built. Yet I still find myself looking for more! Best not forget the 3 guitar amps, drum kit, pa and recording gear, piano, 1950s Selmer clarinet... Someone help me, how do I stop??

Our music room:

I forgot to mention that I also have PAD (Pedal Acquisition Syndrome) too, most of them I made, a few of them are manufactured ones, so you see, I've got it bad.

You might say I might also have AAS (Acquisition Acquisition Syndrome), if such a thing exists....lol
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 13-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast