Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: TL-1TH

yep i agree, i love how my squier tele plays, neck feels great.

i got a bridge pickup off a mexican tele for free ages back in there so its a bit better than the standard one, the neck one is a bit weedy though, im thinking of upgrading both sometime soon

back several months later-because my original pics were woefully shit i was meaning to take some better ones, but due to working away, travelling back to the uk for 6 weeks (pom status), and moving house, i didnt get around to until now.

still not great but i took them on my camera camera this time instead of my phone

the colour looks so warm under indoor lighting, its kind of hard to capture on camera. I was expecting it to be darker but it turned out nice i think. the colour is deffos richer on the back. also i was scheptical about the vintage yellow for the fretboard (all the other woodtone neck colours were out of stock when i bought the colour for the body so i just thought screw it), but i actually think it really suits it.

excuse the manky string fitting, it still needs a fret dressing (for which i need to get hold of a radiused block of wood) cos its pretty twangy and buzzy when played, but im lazy and have just been playing it anyway. got some more detailed close ups of the body ill upload in a minute

another close up of the body thats a bit dark (meh)

these give a better indication of how the colour looks under my lounge lighting

and the back

i added a flush jack mount i got off ebay for like $5 (should have recessed it but id already woodtoned by this point and didnt want to chew up the finish)

if im being critical, i should have made a new scratchplate cos the pickup holes in the stock one were cut a bit shoddy and when i went to try and fix them up with a file i didnt do a great job. Id have to cut one myself though and cant really be bothered, i will probably do it if i ever get around to upgrading the pickups

also the top side of the neck slot was cut a tiny bit wide so theres a small gap there-i would have prefered it to be flush but again meh, these are things that only I would notice and doesnt affect the playability of the guitar. i also put a few small little dings in the top while filing out the pickup cavities (they were cut way too small from factory) which i couldnt sand out because the cap is pretty thin and i was worried about going through it.

also when i played it i noticed the neck was a bit thicker than my squier-wish id filed that down and shaped it a bit more

considering the nature of the kit being hollow, having a thin cap, and binding im happy with how it turned out.
    im gonna do anther tele i think, cant decide between a deluxe or a normal style tele (nearly won that alder one for $20 on the sale but the payment page was too slow dammit). ive learned a lot from this build so hopefully will be able to apply all this newfound knowledge to really dial in my next one.

however i dont really have the money to start another atm (the cost mounts up with woodtone and then having to buy tools now i dont have access to all of my dads ones hah), and i should probably get the neck setup properly on this one first.
    but yeah so glad i bought this kit (it was a complete impulse decision after a collegue showed me the site) and now have a guitar i can be proud of - its so satisfying to play something youve put together yourself (even though its basically the stock kit haha). looking forward to my next one already, whenever that may be!

looks sweet Ben well done on the mods
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

nice job Ben.

Ben a suggestion, presuming you live in Perth, you better not give your home address to the tele napper, it may disappear from your collection !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4