Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HB-4: The Gollum Bass

Mentor
    Happy happy joy joy! The next project was awaiting me at the post office. Not many feelings better than cracking open the next Pit Bull box...

This bass will be for my 12yo son Davis (Gollum is his nickname- he looks like he's made of string and twigs) as he declared an interest in learning bass.

First thing I notice is the maple cap. Oh my lord it's gorgeous.

Second thing I notice is the nut. There's a weird overhang past the nut which looks a littlle messy, but I think I can trim it back without too much trouble.

First question is how heavy can I be sanding this? As it's a lammy top, is there a specific routine?

"Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

Gollum bass ..my precious
    Knock the nut of and put a bone nut in easy fix
    From what I have read and heard the top is a lammy top , so only thin so sand carefully.
    One of the other forum members may be able to confirm this.
    What colour are you thinking for the gollum bass, oh and great choice for a learner bass.

That is one nice cap. It may just be a shadow, but it looks like you may need to give that first fret a few taps.

Are you planning on adding something special to the headstock, like maybe Gollum in elvish script? There are lots of fonts and generators available online.

A two tone 'burst, right, what colours?

Scott.

Mentor
    Two tone burst in Columbian Gold outer, Butterscotch inner.

Not sure about headstock inlays yet.... He may grow out of the Gollum nickname, or find it embarrassing at school, so the thinking caps are on...

He really likes pandas, so that might be something....

I really like these HB4 kits and that cap looks great.

Really look forward to seeing the Columbian Gold/Butterscotch burst.

Good to give the Gollum thing a bit of thought. I was called Gilligan at school, which didn't stick forever (probably wouldn't care if it had), but I certainly had friends who grew to hate their nicknames.

Mentor
    Slight rethink on the Butterscotch. Apparently it is unsuitable fior maple, so I will use Saffron instead.

Mentor
    Also, which way do I sand the top to bring out the flame?

Sand with the grain, NOT with the flames.
    That is, in the direction from the neck cavity to the tail. Not across the body.
    Well thats what I did on my LP-1 and the ES I'm currently building....works for me.
    Easy mistake to want to follow the flames though.
    Also, the cap is fairly thin so go easy, especially around the edges.

Hi Bass Guy,

The "weird overhang past the nut" ... I had the same thing on my SG. It seems that rather than cut a slot they notch the end of the fingerboard for the nut but then (for some reason) don't cut off the "overhang" either square or flush.

However with a very fine-tooth saw and much visual confirmation after every couple of passes I was able to trim it down without going into the headstock ... but then I'd removed my nut and had clear access (which made it easier).

Note: As DB confirmed for me, the PitBull nuts are unique in their sizing ... they don't quite match up with the standard nut sizes from any of the major manufacturer's (and all of them different to each other too!). So if you do intend to upgrade the standard plastic nut to something better (bone, brass, tusq, graphite, etc.), I'd suggest getting your new nut first and then trim to its size.

BTW - VERY lovely flame-top on your HB! ... cant wait to see it all varnished up!

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

Hi,
    You will have a lot of enjoyment with this bass. My one ( HB 4S )was my first ever ( pix on photo thread ) and I had the veneered face to deal with. So I simply applied base coats and then non glossy ageing top coats. Time will now mellow it even more.
    I agree, the face is very thin ( unlike the HB 4S so take it easy with 280 or finer.
    There is a bloke on Ebay that makes very good truss rod caps with your name or whatever you want engraved into the face. You might like to get one done for your son. About $13.00 delivered and you choose the style etc.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast