Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: JB-4

  1. #1
    Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Talawa, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,171
    Finished in Surfer Girl with silver highlights.

    Upgrades- pearloid pickguard, defretted



    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

  2. #2
    Moderator Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    3,225
    My JB-4M here rather than start a new thread - only difference is maple neck.

    Changes
    - pickguard changed for a blue mirror pickguard;
    - pots, caps and jack upgraded to CTS / orange drops / switchcraft;
    - heavy bridge installed and recessed;
    - dots replaced with black MOP and
    - bone nut installed.



  3. #3
    Moderator Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    3,225
    Headstock and neck (neck prior to any work to show the level of grain visible).


  4. #4
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	7133heres my JB I loved building it. It's all stock parts and in DT Karijini red. With the neck in mission beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	7131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	217.5 KB 
ID:	7132  

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    2
    Here is a JB-4L (left-hand) completed last week for my daughter - we were pretty frustrated by the lack of options locally for a lefty bass. She was playing bass lines upside -down and back to front on my right handed bass, which was pretty clever but drove me crazy to look at (I'm southpaw too, but learned to play right handed -which is my excuse for being no good!). This was all the excuse I needed to try building a kit, which is something I've wanted to do for some time. I've always liked the jazz-style bass, but have never owned one, so that led to the choice of the JB-4L.

    It's all stock, apart from the strings (and one bridge screw, which I managed to lose), and came together pretty well. Finishing was the main challenge - where we are in NZ there was no chance of getting guitar-specific finishes shipped to us, so the main colour coat is a Briwax blue timber dye, with multiple coats of both (home-made) wipe-on and spray-can poly. I found that lightly sanding (400) between finish coats was a big help.

    The headstock decal was drawn and scanned onto waterslide paper by my other daughter as her contribution to the build.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7240477.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	783.4 KB 
ID:	13000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300479.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	13001 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300484.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	13002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7300490.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	490.0 KB 
ID:	13003 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7240476.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	13004
    Last edited by kasei; 06-08-2016 at 08:11 AM.

  6. Liked by: wazkelly

  7. #6
    Member cade711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    133
    Finished in Dingotone Bushfire Sunrise. All PBG kit parts with some visual alterations only.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINISHED FRONT.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	17465
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINISHED REAR.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	17466
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINISHED HEADSTOCK.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	17467
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINISHED SIDE BY SIDE.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	17468
    Current build and status
    First build = JB4 (Complete)http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6692
    Second Build = Non PBG SG (Complete) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6827
    Third Build = Impatiently deciding

  8. Liked by: wazkelly

  9. #7
    Mentor Andyxlh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    919
    Here's a JB-A 4 with a 70s block neck. Painted by Macklay Vocational College with artist acrylic and overcoated in Cabots Polyurethane clear, gloss fr front of headstock and body, satin neck. Stock except for clear pickguard to show paint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1221.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	529.8 KB 
ID:	26235
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1219.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	494.2 KB 
ID:	26236
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1218.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	671.4 KB 
ID:	26237
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1216.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	658.2 KB 
ID:	26238
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1211.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	469.6 KB 
ID:	26239

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •