Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Another sanding query

Sam, bummer, thats a tough one to fix sanding through the cap. Did you pre-sand the top before the black coat went on ? I always skip the pre-sanding for the reason of not sanding through the cap.
    I'd suggest try and get some black stain over it and try and make it blend in. That light ring around it makes it pretty obvious.
    I'd also try and steel wool off the stain on the top binding and it will be easier to clean next coat
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Thanks wokka, no I went straight on with the black stain knowing I may run in to this problem. Weird s#*t i actually just finished everything you suggested, except gave it a light hit with a maple wax stick. Blended that horrible ring, but obviously not perfectly... Lesson learnt. I'm not too fussed now, of course I expected a flawless first build but who am I kidding... Thanks for ya help dude,
    I'll post a pic when she's complete.

no worries Sam, thats why we stress how thin the caps are. Touch wood (parden the pun !) I haven't done it yet but seen many on the forum do it. My mate sanded through a cap on a FV kit but he used an orbital sander with 240 grit paper but I'd only hand sand a thin veneer cap.
    Not many have built a perfect 1st build so if you blended that light ring you will be surprised at how many people may not notice it. You will always notice it as you know about it !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Yeah spot on man, one of those things that'll only bug me! At the end of the day I'm all about the sound the thing makes, all my other guitars are dinged up but they all sound killa! I'm more into the electronics, I've modded all my guitars trying all kinds of different electronic set ups, and I recently fixed up my mates epiphone 335 (complete electronics overhaul) that's what inspired me to pick up a PB kit... And for the price... I'm already thinking what to buy next!
    Cheers,
    Sam.

that's bad luck...

other ways to hide it:

leave it, don't worry

add to it - relic

painted top

one of those dark teardrop bursts:

Hey Stan,
    That was my only other thought of hiding it. I love that tear drop burst, how would i achieve that?? I've only done one initial dingo stain and messed around with the bloody hole in the cap, nothing else.
    Thanks,
    Sam.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4