Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Another sanding query

Ok great thanks, i probaly wasnt planning on using wudtone anyway but thanks for the quick reply

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from LPBuild1 on August 29, 2013, 17:51
    Thanks very much the help is very much appreciated. I see your doing try oil on your srat, does tru oil work well I was planning on using that, any tips?
    Thanks very much
    Hi LP,
    Although I have not had much experience with Tru-Oil I did do heaps of research on the net. The general concensus of opinion is to not use an oil based stain under Tru-Oil as the solvents in TO may dissolve the stain and cause it to run.

As Wudtone by itself can be buffed to a high gloss finish and as it is oil based I would proceed with caution before applying TO over Wudtone.

I applied 20 coats of TO to achieve the best results so far, this may be a bit excessive, but it is what works for me.

Hope this helps.

rob

Ok great thanks, i was planning on using ColorTone from america but buying it in Australia, its dye water based so i should be fine. Can i also just use tru oil straight over the binding on my lp kit?

Thanks

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from LPBuild1 on August 30, 2013, 13:49
    Ok great thanks, i was planning on using ColorTone from america but buying it in Australia, its dye water based so i should be fine. Can i also just use tru oil straight over the binding on my lp kit?

Thanks
    I used Tru-Oil on my TL-TH kit which has white binding. I didn't steel wool the binding between coats and it has turned it slightly yellow. It suits the natural finish of the guitar so its no big deal, but worth keeping in mind.

rob

ok great thanks, how should i sand i have a flamed maple top which way do i sand it so i dont scratch the top? thanks

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from LPBuild1 on August 30, 2013, 20:01
    ok great thanks, how should i sand i have a flamed maple top which way do i sand it so i dont scratch the top? thanks
    Sand in the direction as you would with a straight grain body. With the grain from top to bottom of the guitar.
    A flamed top's grain direction looks like it goes across the body, but it actually runs opposite the flame, lengthways along the body.

Hope this makes sense.

Ok cool so sand from where the neck cavity is downwards in that direction?
    Thanks

Hey,

Was trying so hard to not sand thru the cap, especially after all the warnings!! but of course i f*#ked up... bout 5mm diameter has been exposed on the carve of the top horn. Any cheeky fixes or do i just suck it up and live with it. es-1g first build - happened cause i attempted to pop the flame, worked a treat on the rest of the body except for the obvious bloody mistake. i applied the first coat of dingo, which really accentuated it! I'm a bit of a perfectionist and i just can't let it go... can anyone help?

post a pic up sam and we can see what the suggestions are

Sorry lighting is shite

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast