Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Another sanding query

Yep. You need to take care as the flame top may only be 2-3mm thick.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Mentor
    Will do, o sensei of the sanding.... :P
    "Music is in the air; it's my job to pull it out."- Jaco Pastorius

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on August 16, 2013, 20:45
    Yep. You need to take care as the flame top may only be 2-3mm thick.
    ...and possibly under 1mm at the edges!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Hey guys, I have ordered the LP-1m kit and just wanted to clarify how much I sand the top of the guitar (flame maple). To what grade and till when? and also, what are the best tips when doing binding, do I need to sand it, or tape over it to protect, or what?
    If I was to get a bit of stain on the binding, what would be the best way to get this off?
    And last question sorry, could I use tru-oil over the whole body as a lacquer and then buff the finish?

Thankyou very much for your time and relpy, I look forward to hearing from you guys,

LPBuild1 - DingoBass has put together a how to in keeping your binding pristine:
    http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=4...wtopic&t=140.1
    In terms of getting rid of the stain, a light steel wool (0000 grade) should do the trick.
    In terms of Tru Oil, the answer is yes - look for guitars by Robin (couple of ST-1's and an IB-5)and see just how glossy it comes up.

Thanks very much Brendan for the quick reply really appreciated

Hi LP Build,
    what Brendan said after 24 hours of curing give the binding a rub with fine steel wool each time you are putting on the next coat, if you keep doing this before each coat the job at the end will be easier and the binding will be nice and smooth.
    Have a look and try and gauge the thickness of the cap looking side on at the pup cavities, but as said before beware the cap can be thin close to the outside edges. Be safer to slightly undersand the edges but the middle of the cap should be 2-3mm thick so you can sand that area smoother.
    The sides and back of the body and neck you can sand thoroughly so it feels smooth when you run your hands over them
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Ok great tanks wokkaboy so you would advise to steel wool after leaving the stain to cure for at least 24 hours?
    Thanks very much the help is very much appreciated. I see your doing try oil on your srat, does tru oil work well I was planning on using that, any tips?
    Thanks very much

when staining is it still good to put tape over the binding just to keep as much off as possible as well as the other tricks?
    Thanks

Hi LPbuild, sure if you can tape up the binding, just be careful not to have any tape over the area you are staining.
    Sure tru oil will go well on the spalted maple cap, I haven't tested tru oil over wudtone over a long period yet so wouldn't recommend that, although Robin has succeeded applying tru oil over other stains.
    Good luck !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast