Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flag Designs?

Hey guys, my girlfriend's birthday is in December, and she moved here from Texas last year, so I'm thinking of doing an ST-1 with the American flag as the body design with Wudtone, but how can I do that? I need to get 50 stars done, and 13 stripes..... I'm really concerned about the stripes, I might get a hole drilled and fill it up???

Also, How can I do the pickguard? I want to have the pickguard with the same design, is there a blue tortiseshell/pearloid?

Pest, the best way to do this would be with a large decal....
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

If you want an easy out, just do the Texas flag. Texans eat that stuff up. (Based on my experience with Texans, which is pretty much just from TV and movies.)

If you are after the American flag, I would suggest visiting your local sign shop and getting a price on a digitally printed decal, using the same media they print vehicle wrap signs on.
    You could then have the body face completely wrapped with a decal. The wrapping vinyl is durable, very thin and pliable, and conforms to contours extremely well. There is a definite art to applying them though, which really only comes with experience, but they could certainly help you out with that.

thanks for the advice guys, im probably going to try and use Wudtone and using the Texas flag on scrap wood, and I'll try a massive decal if it doesnt work, I might even use a dremel to get a hole for the star, and use a painted scrap piece painted white!

Current:
    GTH-1

Completed:
    AST-1FB
    First Act ME276 (resurrected curb-side find)
    ES-5V
    Scratchie lapsteel
    Custom ST-1 12 String
    JBA-4
    TL-1TB
    Scratch Lapsteel
    Meinl DIY Cajon
    Cigar Box lap steel

Wishing:
    Baritone
    Open D/Standard Double 6 twin neck

Hmmm... I found they have the 3 colours needed for the guard, can I use superglue to get them together into one guard?

Use wudtone for the body, cover the guard with a flag decal and trim to shape with a craft knife.
    Should look good!!

Overlord of Music
    You could get a clear pickguard and paint on the inside of it using a paper template.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

I spent 6 months in Texas several years ago and found that they're actually prouder of being Texan than they are of being American, as shown by often seen "bumper sticker" on many of the "pick-ups" (utes) ... "American by birth but Texan by the grace of God!" ... :-D

... and despite the flack they get from the rest of those "damn Yankees", found them to be by far the MOST friendly bunch out of all the "lower 48" states (and I'm definitely NOT an americanophile!) ... they're sort of like Aussie's with an accent who drive on the wrong side of the road! :-D

Definitely go with the Texas flag!

P.S. check out any "Car Wrap" graphic places in your area - they're doing some very high-qual stuff these days (great detail in the graphics, long lasting and getting quite cheap too) and they're designed to wrap nicely around curves and bends

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast