Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Start Guide

One of the rare criticisms we get here at Pit Bull Guitars is that there are no "Instructions" in the box when customers receive their kit.

There's a reason for this, but from our customers perspective (especially those who've never dabbled in this area), I think it would be great if we could have a "Quick Start Guide" in the box. Some basic instructions that apply to every kit we sell.

For example:

1. Doing a mock build
    2. Sanding
    3. Finding and treating glue spots and other flaws
    4. Choosing the right finish
    Etc...

Now that we've got this amazing Community, I think it would be cool to develop this Quick Start Guide together.

Fortunately, we've already got Gav's excellent "How To" threads as a starting point. So, we just need some ideas as to what goes in a "Quick Star Guide" and what doesn't. It would nice if it was on a single page, so as not overwhelm the average "newbie".

The Pit Bull Guitars team is severely stretched and we just don't have the time to manage this. So, if someone wanted to take on the coordination of this Community project, we will happily support and reward them.

So, who's up for it?

Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Not me, but this sounds like a great idea, I was pretty confused as to what to do at the start of my build!

Hi Adam,
    I am happy to do this project given that it will be a précis of what I have already done. I would like to get the community thoughts on what they feel is important to be in this document.
    I will await your and their thoughts on this?

Something like this would be my thought with links to the forum and some pertinent forum topics.

Beginning and managing your Build
    If you keep the following in mind from the start you will be less likely to encounter issues that will delay you finishing your build. This is true no matter which kit you ultimately decide on, which finish you opt for (Pit Bull Guitars recommend Wudtone) or your choice of hardware and other components.
    1. Unpack the kit and check that you have the correct guitar, correct parts and item quantities. Importantly, noting which screws go with each component or part of the guitar as this is a common mistake for first time builders.
    2. Prepare a mock build of your new kit, testing all the major components like the neck fitting into the body neck cavity and placing the bridge into its position. Check the pick guard, pickups, and the tuners will fit properly!
    3. DB's mantra is Sand, sand, sand again. When you think you have sanded enough, sand it some more
    4. Finish the body and neck wood surfaces first and allow the Wudtone or other paint to cure and harden properly before finally assembling the guitar. This is a process that if you are patient will reap the reward of a sensational finish.
    5. Do the shielding of the pickup cavities, switch, volume and tone control cavities as applicable.
    6. install the neck, tuners and bridge first, only then proceed to wiring up the electronic components. Install the pick guard. Ensure you install grounding wires from the bridge to the pots, between the pots, switch (only if necessary) and the output Jack.
    7. the final step being to put on the strings and set up and adjust string heights, intonation, action, pickup heights and refining of the nut.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

dont forget the tools needed!!!
    Also Gav, the final part of DB's mantra is not to sand it some more, but "give it to your wife to sand!"
    Hmmmmm.... I wonder if Ani wants to sand the StratoPester....

I'd like to see a recommended wiring diagram included in the box, even if it's just a link to a web page. I know you're starting to get a bit kit-specific here, but I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out which goes where on the PRS-1S.

Gav,
    Other thing is to encourage people to put up a build diary - that way help from people like yourself and DB, etc, etc, etc are only a couple of keystrokes away...

Great stuff Gav, I think you have covered it very well.
    My only suggestion is to trim it down to less words, remember you are dealing mainly with blokes here and us blokes are not very good at reading instructions ..... Hmmmm, maybe we should give it to Miss Fiona to edit?

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Instructions + Miss Fiona = Bloke-friendly instructions

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from keloooe on July 23, 2013, 20:49
    Instructions + Miss Fiona = Bloke-friendly instructions
    She has had lots of practice with DB!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

yes I'm guilty of not reading instructions and have been told off by Miss Fiona !
    It's just how most blokes are, start the project and maybe read the instructions after !!
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast