Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quick Start Guide

Ads, it's really good for any newbies who have no idea what to do so it's a thumbs up from me!

Looks good and is an appropriate starting point for new builders.
    Notes:
    • I would suggested modifying section 3 (Sanding) to mention the importance of working through the grits to ensure all machine marks and scratches are rmoved, as I suspect many builders will think they know how to sand and not bother looking at the video.
    • The opening section suggests following the 'Community' link on the website, and then suggests it again with more detail at the start of the Instructions section... which maybe feels slightly cumbersome, sort of doubling up. Perhaps it would be better to have it consolidated in one section at the start of the 'Instructions' part, as I think the importance of a build diary is emphasised with the idea that other forum members can help answer questions and spot errors/issues etc
    • The 'Shielding' section statement 'This will eliminate poor grounding or any interference from your guitar.' is perhaps a little too definitive...maybe something more like 'will aid in minimising hum and external interference with your guitar's signal'.
    • Maybe mention in the Shielding/Wiring section that some wiring may not be possible until other aspects of assembly is completed, like with set necks etc.
    • The Mock Build section may also benefit from mentioning that test fitting all parts allows errors/problems to be found and corrected before the finish goes on.

Scott.

Hey thanks WierdBits, great feedback, happy to make all those edits.

And thanks keloooe, glad to have your seal of approval. Please call me Adam, not Ads... sorry, but I'm old fashioned that way.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

And here's version 2.1 with WeirdBits feedback addressed.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content...ds/pdf/QSG.pdf
    Cheers,

Adam

This looks really good Adam. Big thanks to the Gavmeister for his input and to Weirdbits for his suggestions.
    Maybe you could add a foot note telling our customers that if they dont read the instructions they will be told off by Miss Fiona... scary thought.... I am sure Woks will concur with me on that

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I think a Photo of Miss Fi at the end, wagging her finger, with the caption "read the bloody instructions", could be the closer we need... see if she's up for it.
    Cheers,

Adam

I think a Photo of Miss Fi at the end, wagging her finger, with the caption "read the bloody instructions", could be the closer we need... see if she's up for it.
    Cheers,

Adam

Bwahahahahahahaha! Gold... pure gold...

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Nice to see my photo in there!

Adam, it's a great getting started guide. My only comment would be that when you refer to a forum thread in the document, it needs to be really easy to find. To this end you could name the exact location of the post (eg. which section) to make it easier to find. Even better, I would copy those important threads into the "How to Build your Pitbull Guitar" section and make them sticky topics at the top of the section. That way there is no digging involved, especially as time goes on and they sink down in the listings.

cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Ads - looking good. I'd add as step 0 (IT thing) "Set yourself up with a build diary". I think this is a key element - especially for those that are still developing a case of BAS and it's littler cousin GAS (is there such a thing as UAS?). With a build diary, I've found you can save yourself a whole bunch of heartache as there's generally someone around who can help stop you from making a monumental stuffup. At very least (assuming you have a perfect build), it's nice to have some reassurance that you are doing things well. Finally, I find it also encourages you to keep tabs on the forum and learn heaps of neat tricks that smart little cookies have come up with.
    My 2c worth!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast