Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Telecaster by Dingobass.....

Well done DB, to make a guitar that looks so good and is a joy to play. As a Luthier, does it get any better than that?

rob

DB the tele looks amazing , great work and the gold hardware brings out beauty of the wood excellent . So Adam is known as Adam Telecaster Boyle huh lol

I was just viewing your two colour tele body loved it want a strat body the same to fit my neck for hard tail let me know what you'd charge DB
    Kindest regards
    Kimball

wow, just saw pics of the finished build - what an epic axe!

There goes any dreams i had of trying out one of those nice body blanks - cant compete with that!

Love the Dingo headstock inlay

hey Stan, keep going and you will learn those skills!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Wot Gavin said, Stan.
    We all have to start at the beginning... Don't under estimate yourself and what you can achieve.
    It just takes time and practice.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

yes good advice Gav and DB, in the last 12 months building Pit Bull kits I have learnt so much. Next step I want to learn how to make a decent neck, then I can build a fully scratch built axe !
    Also I've learnt every mistake makes you learn - to do it a different way next time !
    We all aspire to be as good as Gav and DB, just takes time !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

I just bought a tele body and it is advertised as American Ash but it is far too heavy to be ash. Any ideas about the pit bull body wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson1953 View Post
    I just bought a tele body and it is advertised as American Ash but it is far too heavy to be ash. Any ideas about the pit bull body wood?
    I think you may be thinking of what is called "swamp ash" which is much lighter after it has been dried. American Ash, Canadian Ash (aka North American Ash), Hard Ash or White Ash are all the same species called different things and typically have a high mass (weight).
    "Swamp Ash" is also the same species as these but has been grown in a wet environment (it's not its own species).
    That may sound counter intuitive, but once the moisture is removed from the of the wet-grown timber, it leaves it lighter.

My PBG American Ash tele body weighed 2.4 kg (5.29 pounds) before I started shaping and doing extra routing for weight relief. I have no doubt that the PBG body is truly American Ash as advertised.
    Last edited by McCreed; 17-05-2021 at 06:09 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Hi and welcome.

Ash comes in several varieties and a wide range of weights. From what I can gather, American Ash is likely to be called 'White Ash' in the US. This is denser than 'Black Ash' (an average 675kg/m3 vs 545kg/m3) and has straighter grain than Black Ash. The GST-1 I'm assembling looks very much like White Ash with very straight grain. The wider grained and more heavily patterned bodies are probably Black Ash. But standard Ash of both kinds is fairly heavy compared to 'swamp ash'.

Whilst 'swamp ash' is a term often used to describe the ash often used by Fender in the past, this isn't a particular species but more a description of where the ash was grown. It's the way that the swamp levels rise and fall that change the way the trees grow and make it lighter (481-538 kg/m3 depending on the base variety of Ash).

Fender have stoped using ash for all but some custom shop bodies as it's now so hard to get due to climate change and swamps drying out. And non-swamp ash is heavier than they want for a guitar body.

So what you'd probably consider to be 'American' Ash is probably a light Swamp Ash, whilst your body wood is very probably White Ash/American Ash.

Names for wood can be very confusing, and without knowing the full provenance of the trees it came from, you'll never know for sure. But it will be Ash of some kind from the US.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5