Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Caleb from Burril Lake

Hey everyone, my names Caleb. I'm a 16 year old surfer, christian and guitar player. I live on the South Coast of NSW just south of a town named Ulladulla in the area known as Burril Lake.

I've started playing guitar for about 1.5 years and am self taught.

My musical tastes rang from the likes of Jack Johnson and Pete Murray, The Almost and All Time Low, Alter Bridge and Shinedown, and even stuff like August Burns Red and Oh Sleeper.

I am in the planning stages of making a guitar reminiscent of a 60's Les Paul Black Beauty, except with no pickguard and chrome hardware. This will be my first build, so all comments, thoughts and suggestions are very much welcome!

Thanks for reading everyone!

YES!!! I'm still the youngest one here!!!
    Hi Caleb, welcome to the forums *massive rant starts here...* a black beauty rep. sounds noice with the LP-1, shouldn't be too hard!!!

If you want to have a pure black finish with awesome tone and even better looks than the Gibbo LP BB, definitely check out Wudtone Custom Finishes, they are dirt cheap (like the kits!), and have extremely little mess, so you don't need any spray equipment!!! If you want to do the 3-pickup BB, then you can pay about $30-$40 extra, and our resident luthier Dingobass can help you out, just tell him (or Adam) and they will sort it out for you!!!
    When you do get your kit, set up a build diary in the appropriate sub-forum and post pics of your build as you go so we can all see where you are up to, give out advice, and answer any questions you have!

By the way, my nickname is Pest, you should probably know by now!

Cheers,
    Callum

hahaha! I expected the majority of people here to be 3 times my age, and here I find someone younger!

Ill definately look into the wudtones for the finish, coz the straight black is what I was looking for.

Not sure about the 3 pickups, thats something I still need to figure out, but that is really good to know.

Ok sweet! thats exactly what i was looking for! i really have no idea what im doing with this build and my expectations arent set too high, so hopefully i can get a nice looking and playable guitar out of it!

With the black, there's 2 options that you can decide on:
    Black Magic Woman: black, black, and more black!!!
    Dark Onyx: Black, but with a blue-ish tint to it

Hey Caleb,

Welcome aboard!

The first bit of advice I always give out to new builders is TAKE IT SLOW! A slow build is a good build.

Second lot of advice is sand, sand, sand then sand again. When you think you have sanded enough, sand again!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hey DB, I left those bitz out cuz I wanted you to say them!!!

Welcome aboard Caleb - hope your build goes well... There's lots of help here in making your guitar building successful and a whole bucket of fun. Looked at the black beauty and it looks like a beautiful guitar - though I prefer the 4 string versions.

Great to have another christian on board as well - God Bless.

Welcome Caleb,

A Christian, a surfer and a guitar player. That's 3 for 3 in my books As Brendan said, good to have another Christian on board.

Just repeating everybody else, take your time and enjoy the build.

It is very rewarding, and the help you will get here on the forums is amazing. If you want to see what can be achieved just look at the Guitar of the Month Thread. Awesome!!

cheers
    rob

Thanks for the hearty welcome guys! I really appreciate it!

keloooe: I want the straight black look, so I think black magic woman is what I'll do.

Dingobass: Thanks for that advice, I didnt even really think much about the sanding, but I will definately remember that, as well as the 'slow and steady' sort of thing.

Brendan: I really hope it goes well too, I dont really know what to expect from it so far.
    Personally, I love the guitar, but I stray from the black and gold to black and chrome/silver. I think its a great look. and right back at ya! Im glad im not the only one here!

robin: hahaha thanks they are some of the most important things to me.
    I'll try and take as much time and patience as I can, even though I'm not always too patient
    Ill definately have a look at the GotM thread, I have had a few come up on the main page and liked what I saw!

EDIT: I do have one question though. I have a few questions about things before I start my build. Would the best thing be to start a build diary, or is there another place I can ask? I'm not too sure about this stuff just yet hahaha

Caleb, when you've decided which kit you're going to by, start a My Build Diary (like "Caleb's LP-1") and ask all the questions you like. Between the Forum, the videos and the great interwebs, you should have all the assistance you need to make an awesome guitar.

ps Don't be tempted to start a running total of the money you've saved for your kit, we've already fallen for that old trick once.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast