Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another newb. Another Victorian resident

Hi all,

I received my RC1 this morning as I was heading out. Good timing to be here as the postie arrived and avoid having to pick it up later, but I spent the next 5 hours wishing I was in the cave rather than concentrating on the task at hand. Anyway, have now unpacked it and started planning the build, watching the videos, reading the support info etc. Some very useful hints and tips to get me started on this my first build of a guitar.

If anyone else has built the RC I'd love to hear from them. There isn't much info in the kit re the model I've got so questions will certainly follow, specifically on the set neck and the wiring. But that's a long way off yet. Need to sand, prebuild, dismantle, sand, stain, sand, stain, sand etc....

Also in the guitar stand is my beloved Taylor 214ce, a Yamaha Bass, and a Yamaha dready that's been dragged all over Australia in the 4by but refuses to give in.

Last but not least, having read the state by state rivalry, I'd have to agree that beaches in the West are better than Melbourne, but we have a couple of good ones here on the Surf Coast. Bells, Fairhaven, Johanna to name a few.

Cheers
    GlennO

Welcome to our humble forum!
    Excuse me while I just remonstrate with our official welcoming committee who really should have been on here welcoming one of his own!

Pest!!!!!!!!!! You are slipping in your welcoming duties........again!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Welcome aboard Glenno.

I am glad to see you have a firm grasp on the old Dingobass mantra of guitar finishing... Sanding

As for info regarding your build, you will find a wealth of knowledge here on the forum as well as, to put it as our good mate GlennGP put it, a jerk free community that will give you all the support and encouragement you will ever need.

I would, as will many others on the forum will, encourage you to consider the Wudtone finishes.
    Easy to apply and the best bit is no loss of tone....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Hiya! Just got my kit this week as well. Have the headstock all marked up and ready for cutting. That should be interesting...

Welcome indeed, another Victorian (I'm up in the Goldfields, but don't hold that against me).

(Callum must have a non-luthial assignment, he's very lax this evening.)

Don't be fazed by what appears to be a lack on instructions in the box. The videos will give you a nice medium to broad idea of what you need to do. When you get to nitty gritty, search the forum a bit and if you still don't come up with the answer you need, just ask. There's a lot of experience on tap here, not just generally, but with these specific kits.

Above all, savour the experience and enjoy it. If it goes too quickly you'll want to do another one, and that can get expensive ...

Thanks for the welcome guys. I won't hold life in the Goldfields against you, nice part of Victoria. I aim to savour the experience but expect that enthusiasm and lack of patience may see me knock this over sooner than I probably should and go back to the store for another project. I did consider the wudtone but decided to save that for the second attempt and get a kit with nicer wood finish on it. This one, I'm calling project "yoRick" will probably be a solid colour scheme.

Now it's off to Bunnings to buy some sandpaper, a clamp, steel wool, glue and masking tape. 8-)

Cheers
    Glenno

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not Bunnings sandpaper! Their paper is hopeless since it isn't uniform.

You need to get a better quality or you will have scratches all over your guitar body.

DB will be up in a moment and will agree and direct you to either of:

Www.thesandpaperman.com.au

Www.stewmac.com

There is a decent llink below with some discussion on it. In case you don't know about it you can get sandpaper kits from PitbullGuitars which i would expect come from The Sandpaper Man. Seriously...NOT Bunnings Sandpaper!!
    http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=4...iewtopic&t=107
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

*sigh* I need to be online more... If only advanced mathematics wasn't so advanced...
    Anyways, welcome to the forums!!! Yep, my people are starting to roll in here, Glenn and I aren't so alone after all!!!
    1st thing to echo Gavin, don't use Bunnings sandpaper, it's the worst stuff you could probably use, try the links Gav posted to get the best results!!!
    Off the top of my head nobody has yet built the RC-1, but the wiring is the same as the LP-1, so you should be fine!

Cheers,
    Pest

Welcome! Looking forward to following your build, I'm a big Rick fan and nobody has done a build diary for one of these yet!

Also, bunnings sandpaper can be okay, but it depends on the bunnings you go to. The bigger ones can have better quality paper in stock, but it can be a lottery as to which ones will stock the decent stuff. You're better off following Gavs advice if you want the best finish

Thanks for the tip. Horse had bolted however and the Bunnings paper is working fine for now but I'll file the suggestion away for the next build.

The RC is taking shape but not without teething problems in the set neck department. I'll do a hunt around through the support notes and other forum threads before calling in support.

Some commentary on the challenge to date.

At this stage the neck set is still the one concern and I'll be going to the forum for ideas. There was a very noticeable rocker in the base of the guitar that created an inclination issue. I have smoothed this lump out and think it should be ok with the adjustment in bridge height etc.

The issue I'm now having is the string length between the 12th fret and the bridge. When squared up ( top and bottom E strings parallel and over the fret board) there is 6-8mm difference in string length bridge-12(320) versus 12- nut (314). Because of where the front humbucker recess is set and its relationship to the neck recess, something will have to be altered to get anywhere near the 314 needed. There is also a 4mm discrepancy in string length between top and bottom E strings because the bridge is offset.

Build diary will be kicked off in the next couple of days with happy snaps.

Cheers
    Glenno

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast