Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Another newb. Another Victorian resident

Gav, I'm still trying to find where I can change your Forum status from "pro" to "Grand Master Wizard of Intonation" but I don't seem to have that much flexibility.

Still, great work pointing these people in the right direction; intonation wise.

And yes, Glenn, I second Gav's comment, that finish looks amazing.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote from adam on April 21, 2013, 20:44
    Gav, I'm still trying to find where I can change your Forum status from "pro" to "Grand Master Wizard of Intonation" but I don't seem to have that much flexibility.

Still, great work pointing these people in the right direction; intonation wise.

I'll get my 12 year old on it for you Adam, he seems to think he knows how to get and do everything lately! And of course there's always Pest to ask!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from glenno3228 on April 21, 2013, 20:24
    Thanks. And Thanks. AND PHEW.

I guess I'll have to check out more info on the intonation to get my head around it. As you said, there will be something in the physics associated with the thicker string but I would have thought that would be true for the nut to fret section also.

The one outstanding item is therefore the front pickup. Should I cut a recess in the face plate for the neck or do I need to move the whole shebang back?

Cheers
    Glenn
    You are right in your assumption that the thickness of the string affects the intonation accross the entire fretboard and that it doesnt suddenly go out of tune mysteriously frommthe 13th fret. However, very small pitch differences are acceptable in guitar playing as pitch varies slightly anyway depending on how hard you press down on a string when you fret a note or if you bend a string slightly. However, the thicker the string with standard frets without compensation would be more out of tune at each fret than the less thicker strings? Does that make sense?
    This is why you get these 'fanned fretboards' such as the one below.

As far as the pickup at the neck is concerned, i am sure that when the time comes to put it all together the pickup will fit flush against both the body and the neck of the Rickenbacker. As such you will move the neck back (from where you had it in the picture) to accomodate the pickup.

I am currently building an Rc1 and havent picked up any issues with my one as yet. As a course off habit I have 'thickened' the 'f' hole because the caps are so thin. This gives the appearanceof a thicker cap and a more solid body. I use balsa wood to do this.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on April 21, 2013, 22:07
    Quote from adam on April 21, 2013, 20:44

I'll get my 12 year old on it for you Adam, he seems to think he knows how to get and do everything lately! And of course there's always Pest to ask!
    Haha, so does that mean my status becomes Grand Master Wizard of Pestness or even just Pest???

Quote from Gavin1393 on April 21, 2013, 22:26
    ]

As far as the pickup at the neck is concerned, i am sure that when the time comes to put it all together the pickup will fit flush against both the body and the neck of the Rickenbacker. As such you will move the neck back (from where you had it in the picture) to accomodate the pickup.
    Thanks very mich again Gavin. I get the intonation commentary and will definitely do the f hole upgrade as the top is a bit delicate. I like logic and if I can't find it I struggle. So I'll carry on with the staining and polishing process and work out how to deal with the front pickup when I get to the trial build.

At this stage it seems to me that if I were to fit the neck in a manner that makes the front pick up flush, the bridge -12th fret lengths increase by circa 6mm which the bridge adjustment won't cope with. I'll also have to make a 6mm shim to space the foot of the neck from the body because, as you can see in the photo, to achieve those string dimensions I have it flush with the body. :?

This is my first guitar build and will trust your lead on this. You'll forgive me if I don't glue the neck until I've proven to myself that tuning in the 12-24 fret range is good to go.

Cheers
    Glenn

Grand wizard Pest?......... Nah, but I think that Über Pest has a nice ring to it :P

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Yea, sounds better!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3