Thread: Placing string retainers

Hi guys,

While going through the parts in my kit... ... ... (should admit at the outset that it's a guitarfetish kit, that I ordered before I found pbg) ... I found I have a couple of string retainers to place n the headstock. Are there any set rules I should follow when I'm installing them, as in how far should they be from the nut and tuning peg? And also whether they are all that important on a tele?

All advice welcome.

Cheers,
    Ads

String retainers are installed in Tele's and Strats (normally) because they eliminate the "sitar effect" where the strings go all buzzy, depends on a number of variables, normally the E/B retainer is further away from the nut I think

Thanks man. But lo and behold, guess who found the video on it... Fool am I

Hey taker, I did a video on String Retainers, which I think is still pretty useful (I did these vids a long time ago, so we're replacing them now we have much more knowledge (and we have Dingo Bass on board).

Here's link:

http://youtu.be/LEC4RC-W6LY

The string guide/retainer starts at 7:50.

You will only see string guides on 6 in line machine head guitars (most Fenders). They go on the top E and B and D and G, with the D and G retainer closer to the nut than the E and B retainer.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Or you could try staggered locking tuners and eliminate the need for retainers at all.

Haha well this is my first "build"... As well as my first time trying woodwork! Maybe next time