Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pit Bull Guitars "Community Kit"

I like it how most of the controls are up the top, makes it even more unique!
    Lol, 1 little control down the bottom...

How about a Ricky bass kit, similar to one Lemmy plays.

Or even one of these (my 2 fav Maton electrics!)

I would actually love to see an original design. Something reasonably classic, but something that also screams "This is a Pit Bull guitar". I was thinking 2 versions, one budget, one higher end. The wood in my opinion, should be highly figured, as Wudtone is a big part of the business, and should be a no brainer as an add on to your signature kit. My choice would be paulownia for the basic kit as its a reasonably cheap wood with a lovely figure, and maybe something with a spalted cap for the high end version.

I'm not at home at the moment, but I have something in mind for the shape. I'll get a sketch up if I can later tonight.

I haven't thought much about the hardware yet, I'll get to that after I get down to some drawing.

Maybe the good marks I got in yr 12 visual communication and design will actually come in useful after all these years lol

[quote]Quote from 4runner on April 12, 2013, 12:26
    What i would love, because i could never justify buying the gibson one is an EDS-1275 Double Neck.

4runner, we actually have some of these coming in June. I love this guitar, but, we're more after a guitar that would appeal to a broad audience (not just Led Zep fans).
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Ok, we're getting some great ideas folks, but I want to reign things in a bit as some of the suggestions are getting a bit "out there" for a guitar with broad appeal. Here's where I think the consensus is at right now:

• A Strat type body, but modified to make it our own look. (Let's see what Stui comes up with when he puts his design skills to use). Feel free to post your sketches or photos of other guitars with the shape you like.
      Wood for the body: Basswood or Paulownia, with a highly figured veneer on top (I think flame maple)
      The Body should be flat top, contoured back, with binding on the top (I like the "triple" binding on the FV-1 and the ES-1G)
      Fretboard: Rosewood or Ebony (Ebony will give us a point of difference but it adds about $40 to the retail price).
      Inlays: Mother of Pearl?
      Nut: I think we can all agree it should come with DB's Bone Nut.
      Pickups: some combination of two single coils and a humbucker. Arrangement to be determined.
      Bridge: to be determined, but what about Andy's (Wudtone) Constant Pivot Bridge? Or there's a nice locking bridge set up, which is not a Floyd Rosd, that our supplier has. DB and I have one as a sample and it's pretty awesome.
      All hardware is to be Gold. (I think black might be the safer option, but give us your preference)
      Quality machine heads.
      No scratch plate (to make the most of the figured top).

Just to be clear, I don't want to offer options, it's just not manageable from a financial or space perspective. Just 3 different options would mean stocking another 27 kits.

This kit should be the best "Deluxe" kit we can all agree on (around the $200 mark). If someone wants something cheaper they can buy an ST-1. If they want to upgrade components, there's plenty of sites where they can source upgrades and we will be offering better quality parts and accessories within the next few months.

Ok, I don't want to influence the ultimate design, so if you don't agree with any of the above, say so. However, just remember that we can't accommodate everyone's preferences, so some compromise is needed.

Over to you...

Cheers,

Adam

Sounds like a great plan there Adam!!!
    My Strat idea has the pups in P-90 / Bucker / P-90 arrangement, so maybe that could be a neat idea???
    Gold would make this kit look the part and make it stand out from most other kits that are in stock, and the Wudtone tremolo bridge sounds great for it! The MOP makes it looks even more on the professional side, the triple binding sounds great

Everything that you just said sounds awesome to me, let's see what the others think!

So the (very rough) sketch below is what I came up with. I've written notes, but they are just suggestions and not set in stone. The design is based on a strat-ish type shape, but takes inspiration from DB's axe of destiny, which was for me, one of the first guitars that convinced me how good Wudtone is. The headstock shape is not important, the body will work with pretty much anything.

I personally think if this is going to be a deluxe model as Adam said, gold hardware is in order, but black would look awesome too. The neck should be bound too. Another option might be to get the headstock pre shaped and get it bound with a spalted veneer, not sure if that's an option?

Anyway, as I said, it's a very rough idea, but I just thought in particular for the body, what would scream out, this is a Pitbull guitar? My answer was a body inspired by a creation from the resident luthier. Feel free to critique

Oh... my... God... that is great Stui!!!

Thanks Stui, it's a bit Metal for my personal tastes, but it's not a guitar for me, it's for the Community.

This is kind of where I think the body was heading:

Picture this with two single coils like this:

and a Humbucker like this:

Thoughts?
    Cheers,

Adam

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast