Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 335 - installing Pots, switches and Output jacks

Great news - hopefully DB's wonderglue will do the trick...

....bought some Titebond (only a couple of outlets sell it) 237ml for FOUR bucks....bargain...!!

Bump for Adam
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Great tutorial Gav. I'm sure you'll save builders hours using this method.

Quote Originally Posted by kimball492 View Post
    Great tutorial Gav. I'm sure you'll save builders hours using this method.
    Truth be told, DB and I struggled for hours when building our first kits, but it has been the years of therapy trying to get over the trauma that has been the hardest.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Thank you for this post Gavin 1393. I am in the midst of soldering all of the components right now & you have given me some great ideas for final fitting. I do have one question though. Before I try to get every thing into the F hole I would like to test my wiring. On a video I watched Adam tap the Humbuckers with a screwdriver & he seemed to get a sound from them. I just plugged my completed set up (still outside the guitar) into my amp via the supplied plug. I could not hear anything when tapping the Humbuckers gently but got some hiss etc from each of the pots & on each of the three positions on the switch. Turning the knobs when doing this indicated that the volume was working, even though it was just a hiss. Do you know of any better way of testing before finally installing the whole lot? Thanks.

It doesn't sound like you have wired up correctly. Hiss and no clear 'thud' suggests you need to recheck the wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you tap them with something that magnets will stick to or something non conductive? The pickups are basically a small electromagnet working in reverse - pickup the vibration in the steel / etc within the strings. If you tap the pickup with something non conductive, there's nothing to change the magnetic field and give you the "thump".

Saved... Opened the box and wept...

Thank Christ for that Gav... was seriously worried... the Perspex thing was a superb idea... saved all.. You seem pretty much all over this stuff... I could use your help finishing my twin neck if you could help.. I struggle to use this site, though very comp savvy... can you help please ? ... send a pic on here.. I have reduced them but they always get rejected... nah.. rejected again... reduced to thumbnail size...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EARLY DAZE.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	28059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180905_184213.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	28058  
    Last edited by Brendan; 15-09-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: email removed

Oh some worked... cool

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast