Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 335 - installing Pots, switches and Output jacks

My first guitar with a glue in neck - there didnt appear to be a great deal of contact - I must say that I feel more comfortable with screw in necks of the LP1 and the Tele (look alike)....Pete

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pedro on June 22, 2013, 16:08
    Hi Brendan - it was Aquadhere PVA probably around 12 months....Pete
    Oh dear.. there is your problem, or should I say both your problems...

Selleys PVA is crap. It just aint strong enough and it does deteriorate with age...

Dude, sorry, but rip the neck off, well, remove it and I will send you the glue for this job.

To remove the neck, get an el cheapo spatula and heat it up until it turns blue.
    Work it down the join to break the bond (whats left of it)

Once you have the neck out, sand the crap- sorry- glue off with 80 grit paper.
    When it is all off you will be able to re glue the neck.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Yep - what DB said - I've had Aquadhere that was no longer white - had broken down that much - wouldn't hold two pieces of paper together... DB's glue will be heaps better - if you can't wait - I've heard good things about Titebond or DB has talked about hide glue... Otherwise - wait for a little package in the mail... I know it's a pain, but it's better to get this out of the way now before it turns tragic.

Adam - the instructional video for set necks does have using Aquadhere. Given that it can cause issues and you guys supply a better glue, is it worthwhile taking down the video until there's a chance to record something using the better glue?

Good point Brendan... the PVA vid must go!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

What is the glue that DB has been sending us???? *crosses fingers and hopes that Titebond smells like mayo*

Quote from keloooe on June 22, 2013, 18:49
    What is the glue that DB has been sending us???? *crosses fingers and hopes that Titebond smells like mayo*
    I heard the stuff he sent you was flour and water...

I expect the glue that DB is sending you will be Titebond.
    To add to DB's post, how I remove a neck is to use a steam iron, wet cloth and metal spatula. Heat up the area where the neck joins to the body using both steam and alternatively pressing the iron onto the cloth after placing the cloth on the neck. After doing this for a few minutes you should be able to push the spatula into the area where the neck is separating and simply remove the neck. If you find the neck doesnt want to come away from the body keep steaming it and it should come away. This method should cause minimal damage and is also the recommended method for separating a glued on bridge or neck on an acoustic...and this method will work even though the neck is NOT coming away from the body!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

great stuff - thanks guys (I thought it was me.....and the curse of the E335....!!)at least this guitar has taught me the value of patience...haha.

Pete

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pedro on June 24, 2013, 14:50
    great stuff - thanks guys (I thought it was me.....and the curse of the E335....!!)at least this guitar has taught me the value of patience...haha.

Pete
    It does that for sure.....lost mine a few times with this build!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

...steam iron, wet cloth and spatula worked very well.Cheers.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast