Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Instructions and guidance

Pablo,
    I just finished building an ES-1G and your description diagram looks correct to me, other than add 2 green capacitors (for tone pots) to top middle of parts bag

well done on the initiative and eventually would be good to have an A4 print of this with each new kit for beginners and builders unfamiliar with all the parts and where all the screws go

I'd like to know any builder who has had enough solder provided in the kit for a 2 volume/2 tone guitar. I used about 5 times as much to make sure the solders stayed connected when you have to feed the wiring through the 'F' hole. It's a challenge but I found it not too difficult. Buy some 5mm clear plastic tubing to get the 4 pots through worked a treat - thanks for that advice Gav !!

cheers Wokka
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote from wokkaboy on April 3, 2013, 12:04
    I'd like to know any builder who has had enough solder provided in the kit for a 2 volume/2 tone guitar. I used about 5 times as much to make sure the solders stayed connected when you have to feed the wiring through the 'F' hole. It's a challenge but I found it not too difficult. Buy some 5mm clear plastic tubing to get the 4 pots through worked a treat - thanks for that advice Gav !!

cheers Wokka
    I'm still seeing my therapist (I have the appointment immediately after DB) as a result of that dratted 'f' hole escapade. But since discovering the 'tubing-trick' I almost feel like building another one.....
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

so Gav did you come up with the tubing idea or did you get it from somewhere else like youtube ? I was really nervous about feeding wiring through the F hole but it was much easier than I thought with tubing and some wiring to reach the input jack
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Quote from wokkaboy on April 3, 2013, 16:22
    so Gav did you come up with the tubing idea or did you get it from somewhere else like youtube ? I was really nervous about feeding wiring through the F hole but it was much easier than I thought with tubing and some wiring to reach the input jack

I came up with it myself actually. I went off to Bunnings with pot in hand hoping that the tube would fit tightly over the pot....then when I got back to the Lair i thought "bugger! Will it still fit through the holes in the cap....!!! At that stage I was ready to simply grab a larger drill bit if it didnt! I was even more surprised that it fit so well INSIDE the jack.....
    I had originally googled how to do it and the poor bugger i learned from had made a contraption with a plug to get the output jack into place and had tied string around the pots! I know he was a poor bugger because for several hours I stood in his shoes. The tubing idea came immediately after I threw the toys out of the cot and into the sea.....i physically ripped the pots, wiring, switch and output jack out of the guitar after an earth cable detached itself for the 20th time.....and I was trying so hard to keep calm! FAIL! So started again after the trip to Bunnings and for good measure decided to lengthen the joining wired between the Tone and Volume sets and the output jack so that these could be removed through the F-hole if needed. But this time it worked beautifully....
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Haha, what a great mental image that is of you throwing all your parts into the Indian ocean (having been to your place, this is actually possible).

But seriously Gav, you deserve some major kudos for the tubing idea. DB, we need to steal this idea and make a video with our logos all over it befor gav does.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote from adam on April 3, 2013, 17:50
    Haha, what a great mental image that is of you throwing all your parts into the Indian ocean (having been to your place, this is actually possible).

But seriously Gav, you deserve some major kudos for the tubing idea. DB, we need to steal this idea and make a video with our logos all over it befor gav does.
    I have read the small print and know I'm entitled to a credit in font size 3 on the video and I will be checking up on it!

Quote from adam on April 3, 2013, 17:50

Yeah.... maybe one day... I am still suffering nervous twitches and the occasional bout of Tourettes after building the ES... Though it could be fun watching you try and get those dratted pots fed through the right holes Adam!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Well DB, you've seen how well I can apply a decal on my first attempt, so I might surprise you!

(No, honestly, I lack the patience for guitar building, but I'm good at other things 8O )
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Gav,
    I didn't realise the tubing fit inside the output jack, damn, that was the hardest and furtherest part to install. Oh well next time then.
    Great idea to make wire runs between pots longer in case you need to remove one pot instead of having to remove all 4 pots to access one pot.
    Be great to see a tubing video Adam and DB, at 4D Guitars we recommend a few beers before attempting this - it worked for me !

cheers Wokka

If you buy the full 5m roll from Bunnings you have plenty tube left over to drop one end into the beer bottle and keep the other in your mouth since you do need both hands to get those Pots, jacks and switches fitted!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast