Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Black & Blue" TL-1

Firstly, a thank you to the guys who offered advice re: cutting/routing the reduced body for this project.

Work has begun and so far I'm going along quite happily largely due to the high quality of the kit.
    I have reduced the basswood body by about 5/8" all around the edges (except near the neck join of course)

Pic 1: The proposed design/finish (small body not depicted)
    Pic 2: Reduced body ready for the finer stages of sanding.
    Pic 3: The neck & black faced headstock drying (with maple fretboard still masked) after several coats of satin clear. Yeah, I'm a funny bugger - the finish will be all satin - I didn't want a high gloss . . .

After much research, I've decided to treat the fretboard with a pure carnauba/beeswax mix made here in W.A. I reckon varnish always gets worn and looks sh*thouse and leaving it untreated won't work 'cos I have "Dirty Fingers" (apologies to the late Gary Moore)

Hope to post more soonish . . .

Hey Max,

Great to hear all is going as planned!

look forward to more pics of your progress. 8-)

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on March 27, 2013, 21:36
    Hey Max,

Great to hear all is going as planned!

look forward to more pics of your progress. 8-)
    Thanks DB

As you would have gathered, I'm no purist when it comes to building guitars. Fist clue would be the Strat shape headstock - reduced longitudinally.
    This project is really very tame compared to my previous efforts. In fact my next project will be an ST-1 kit (already purchased) which will become an "Offender Stealthcaster" and quite highly modified.

Back to the job in hand . . . forging ahead?

Finished the neck at last and I'm very pleased with the look and the silky feel of the pure carnauba polish on the fretboard.

Completed "working through the grits" sanding the body and applied first coat of satin black. Picture shows body ready to spray with a broomstick up its jackhole (Jillhole?) Someone else on the forum did a clever thing with Volksy parts for this purpose, but I can't seem to find the post?

More soon (I hope)

Max

The build is looking great, can't wait to see it assembled with the reduced body size.

Do you mean Mike's rotate'o'tilt'o'matic in his I made a thing !!! and ST-1 build posts?

Scott.

Quote from WeirdBits on March 29, 2013, 21:48
    The build is looking great, can't wait to see it assembled with the reduced body size.

Do you mean Mike's rotate'o'tilt'o'matic in his I made a thing !!! and ST-1 build posts?
    Yes, that's the one.
    It's really a very clever doodad and I love the purple sunburst ST-1 hanging off it!

[quote]Quote from maxaxe on March 30, 2013, 19:36
    [quote]Quote from WeirdBits on March 29, 2013, 21:48

Thanks again Weirdbits

I had good look at your beautiful "Teleburster" and was amazed at your perseverance in the face of adversity.
    Today I finished the last superfine body sanding and applied acrylic spray putty (see pic). Next step will be a very light sanding back and then (hooray) the first coat of black.
    Following advice on here, I performed an accurate pre-fit of hardware etc. and pre-drilled ready for later.
    The waiting is the hardest part . . .

The waiting is the hardest part . . .

Putty has now been sanded down very smoothly and the first two coats of black sprayed on and blocked back in between.
    I will do at least one more coat of black before applying clear satin spray acrylic coat(s)
    Still can't wait to fit the cut down 3 ply pickguard & all the goodies from the kit 8-)

Overlord of Music
    Satin clear is a really great idea. Black is crazy hard to get right. Every little imperfection shows.
    'As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.'

There's something seriously sexy about a jet black Tele. What state are you in Maxaxe?
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Watch out, Max, I think Adam is putting up another wall hanger.

Scott.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast