Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Frequently Asked Questions

Quote from GlennGP on January 9, 2013, 06:46
    Well, having just perused the Wudtone website, and as long as their claims to superior tone are borne out by experience, why would you do anything else?! Another question, then - who is their Australian supplier?
    The shelf life of Wudtone is onlt 2-3 months hence best to buy direct. Takes about 10-14 days to get here, but chatting to Andy ( from Wudtone) last night, he mentioned that there has been a change in the UK laws which may well affect the usual postal system. As DB says there is always a work around, so Andy is applying his mind to this as we speak!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from keloooe on January 9, 2013, 06:05
    Quote from dingobass on January 8, 2013, 22:04
    Quote from adam on January 8, 2013, 22:02
    Hi Glenn,

In the video, with the EX-1, we used a standard Bunnings acrylic paint (white), and we did two coats, sanding back between each.

I have to admit, we were pretty green when we did those videos, so, had we known about Wudtone finishes, we wouldn't have bothered with the acrylic spray videos.

In fact, we're working on a replacement video which will show how the Wudtone is applied (isn't that right DB?)

Gavin is right, the Wudtone will cost you less than a can of undercoat, a couple of cans of colour acrylic spray and a can of gloss acrylic spray.

Wudtone also comes with instructions.

Yes Adam, the video is just about done!

I just need to do a rough edit and send it to you for final production 8-)
    Yay!!! Wudtone vids!!!! Oh, and DB, how does Dark Onyx w/gold highlights and Vntage Amber sound on the LP-1????
    Hey Kelooie

One word answer. NOICE!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Glenn, you'll need to budget about $50-60 with about a 2 week wait for delivery. Well worth it though.

There's a few regulars here who can guide you through the application process if you have any questions; including Andy from Wudtone himself.

Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

So, from this I deduce that, although the Wudtone online shop says they only ship to UK and EU, they do actually ship direct to Australia? And I'm confused about a change in UK laws resulting in an improvement in delivery to Australia, when it's clear that people in Australia already have the stuff. Sorry to be such a dullard, but WTF is going on??!! /slightRant

OK, I'm sold, but seriously, can someone just tell me straight where I can lay my hands on the stuff? Is it direct from Wales?

Glenn,

I've contacted Andy from Wudtone and asked if he can pay a visit to the Forum to respond. Hopefully he can sort you out.

Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote from dingobass on January 9, 2013, 06:57
    Quote from keloooe on January 9, 2013, 06:05
    Quote from dingobass on January 8, 2013, 22:04
    Quote from adam on January 8, 2013, 22:02
    Hi Glenn,

In the video, with the EX-1, we used a standard Bunnings acrylic paint (white), and we did two coats, sanding back between each.

I have to admit, we were pretty green when we did those videos, so, had we known about Wudtone finishes, we wouldn't have bothered with the acrylic spray videos.

In fact, we're working on a replacement video which will show how the Wudtone is applied (isn't that right DB?)

Gavin is right, the Wudtone will cost you less than a can of undercoat, a couple of cans of colour acrylic spray and a can of gloss acrylic spray.

Wudtone also comes with instructions.

Yes Adam, the video is just about done!

I just need to do a rough edit and send it to you for final production 8-)
    Yay!!! Wudtone vids!!!! Oh, and DB, how does Dark Onyx w/gold highlights and Vntage Amber sound on the LP-1????
    Hey Kelooie

One word answer. NOICE!
    Yea, I knew you would like that! Now I have to decide on whether xtra gloss w/ ageing tint or xtra gloss w/o ageing tint...

Quote from Gavin1393 on January 8, 2013, 20:30
    Glenn, have you checked out WUDTONE yet? Most of us are using this product as it is way less messy and wasteful than spraying. You get a far more controlled finish and it will cost you probably less than half the price of using cans?
    Yea, anything that doesnt involve mess and uncontrollable paint is something that I would look for.. plus wudtone have highlights in it to make it look really nice!

Quote from keloooe on January 9, 2013, 09:20
    Quote from Gavin1393 on January 8, 2013, 20:30
    Glenn, have you checked out WUDTONE yet? Most of us are using this product as it is way less messy and wasteful than spraying. You get a far more controlled finish and it will cost you probably less than half the price of using cans?
    Yea, anything that doesnt involve mess and uncontrollable paint is something that I would look for.. plus wudtone have highlights in it to make it look really nice!

I can recommend Wudtone as being the best finish I have come across.

Easy to use, no need for spray equipment, extractors, respirators etc.

Just don't forget to wear gloves whilst using it 'cause this stuff stains!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from adam on January 9, 2013, 07:20
    Glenn,

I've contacted Andy from Wudtone and asked if he can pay a visit to the Forum to respond. Hopefully he can sort you out.
    Hello everyone,

Sorry for the wobble on the supply. Yes our lovely Royal Mail service has tightened its restrictions.

Our current thinking on the right sustainable way around this is problem is

Wudtone to use a service able to carry quantities of the base carriers, pigments, dyes along with detailed instructions on ratios to mix the various kits. ( Wudtone would supply in containers able to give extended 3-4 year shelf life )( pls note in the small bottles we have been using it is only 2-3mnths)

What would be needed in Australia is an organisation/ individual able to receive these products with access to

• domestic package courier service OK to handle the product ( equivalent to this www.myhermes.co.uk cost effective small package courier service we have in the UK)

• suitable 30ml and 50ml containers

• laser printer, labels, packaging etc

Effectively offering a business opportunity based on a franchise arrangement, delivering 30%-40% gross margin on sales with domestic distribution.

So we are looking at options to carry quantities to Australia.

Is there a suitable domestic delivery service in Australia? Individual / organisation that may want to grasp the opportunity?

Although it is going to take time to put things in place, hopefully this will enable a way forward.

Please let me know your thoughts in reply.

Hi Andy, looks like nobody else is biting, so I will.

First, to be clear, is it correct that Royal Mail is preventing you from shipping retail quantities of your finishing products outside the UK/EU, and that, until you find a work-around, we can't get your stuff here in Australia? (If so, that sucks!)

Anyway - a few questions about your business opportunity.
    • Would orders be through your UK-based online store, or would there need to be an Australian-based online store?
      How much business were you doing in Australia - I imagine this could only be a sideline business, not a bread-winner. Or is it?
      Are there any standards or safety requirement with which you have to comply in the UK? This would be an indicator for whether any similar standards need to be observed in Australia.

In short, I'm interested, but need more information to make an informed decision.

Cheers,

GGP

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast