Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WUDTone - Black Magic Woman

This is a PitBull Flamed MAple Les Paul Build

This photograph is after applying the first coat of the 'Deep Colour' after sanding down to 600 (instructions said 400 grit - but I didn't have any!)

Now to either decide to apply more 'Deep Colour' to darken the shade of Black or to let it cure the 4-5 days and then get to work on the 'Base Coat'.
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

I like your hi-tech "mounting system" there Gavin, are they picture hooks? Reminds me of our system of occy straps, wood screws and cable ties in the painting video.

The black looks fantastic, I'd be adding another coat, sanding it back and then lacquering, but I am both lazy and impatient. DingoBass is your man for Wudtone tips (and Andy from Wudtone, obviously).
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote from adam on December 21, 2012, 17:18
    I like your hi-tech "mounting system" there Gavin, are they picture hooks? Reminds me of our system of occy straps, wood screws and cable ties in the painting video.

The black looks fantastic, I'd be adding another coat, sanding it back and then lacquering, but I am both lazy and impatient. DingoBass is your man for Wudtone tips (and Andy from Wudtone, obviously).
    More deep base coats!

you will find that 2 or 3 deep colour base coats will really bring out the flame.....

You don't need to leave it for any longer than 24 hours at the base coat stage, When you get to the finish coats 48 hours is the time frame between coats.

Looking fantastic Gavin!

I too love your high tech approach to holding your Axe :P

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from adam on December 21, 2012, 17:18

HI Guys, Adams suggestion about sanding back is how you get that increased contrast Bengal tiger thing going on. Dark Onyx ( or Black Magic Woman) first sand back and something like Goldenrod, Saffron, Hot Auburn , Carmine Gypsy, Azure Lagoon, Emerald Isle to produce a higher contrast flamed result.

Hi Chaps - I am thinking of using the BMW or the black onyx for my Gibson 335 look-alike - the BMW in this thread looks a bit light - which is the blacker of the two please?

Pedro

Hey Pedro,
    The BMW is black, the DO is more of a blue black.

If you want the pits of hell look for your axe, really pile the first BMW deep colour coat on. I mean saturate it until it wont take any more!.. and dont forget to wipe with the grain to remove any swirl marks.

Let it dry for a minimum of two days, DO NOT steel wool, and repeat until she can take no more.

When you are convinced that Satan himself would get lost in the darkness, give it a light steel wool and begin the base coats.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from pedro on April 18, 2013, 14:59
    Hi Chaps - I am thinking of using the BMW or the black onyx for my Gibson 335 look-alike - the BMW in this thread looks a bit light - which is the blacker of the two please?

Pedro
    Hi Pedro,
    the website says BMW is the darkest of the wudtone range
    "Our darkest, possibly sexiest kit yet, with both pigment and dyes to create some black magic. Kit includes: Deep colour coat, Base coat, Top coat ( please choose satin, extra gloss option below), Gloves, and Instructions."

I'm yet to see Dark Onyx on a guitar as some of the samples of the colours on the webiste are poor and hard to judge as they aren't on a guitar.

Might be worth waiting for DB to confirm, the wudtone man himself !
    Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Great stuff - thanks Wokka and Db - and thanks for the info on the wire wool - very valuable.

Cheers, Pete

Quote from dingobass on April 18, 2013, 15:12
    Hey Pedro,
    The BMW is black, the DO is more of a blue black.
    Yes, that would look cool as on the Les Pest...
    EDIT: I was talking about the DO, it looked more appealing to me for the colour I'm looking for, the BMW, looked a bit too black for me...

Hi Pedro, I used Dark Onyx on my build. If you want to see pictures you can check out my build diary:
    http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=4...iewtopic&t=156

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast