Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WUDTone - Black Magic Woman

Here are the promised pictures of the LP after being put through the buffer.

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

[quote]Quote from Gavin1393 on April 21, 2013, 15:30
    Here are the promised pictures of the LP after being put through the buffer.

Looks fantastic 8-)
    Projects:
    LP-1A
    TL1-A
    LP-1Completed
    TL-1Completed
    Yamaha rebuild: Completed
    Mako -Scratch designed: Completed
    PUP winder: Completed

Facebook : www.facebook.com/andrew.johns.1272010

Looking good Gav

Being a bit of a masochist I don't have a buffing wheel and choose to do everything by hand.

I have been hand rubbing Maguires Scratch-X to get a smooth finish on my Tru-Oil'ed headstock. Scratch-X is a very light cutting compound. Do you think it would be suitable to lightly cut a Wudtone high gloss finish? I know logic says to try it somewhere where it won't show, but it's a guitar for goodness sake, and if it ruins the surface there is really nowhere to hide.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
    rob

Not having used that product before I can't comment either way. Certainly the StewMac polish I used with the buffer over the Wudtone has worked wonderfully. I was scared as hell doing it for the first time!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Meh, all of a sudden a satin or low gloss finish is looking good to me. I'm not quite sure how to burnish a finish, haven't tried DB's copy paper trick yet, but that might be another avenue to persue, if I ever get it put together properly.

Thanks anyway mate,

rob

I did find this on another forum:-

"Due to some developments which were posted on the UMGF as of February 29, we are for the moment no longer suggesting Meguiars Scratch-X for the buffing out procedure nor any other Meguiars products for this process pending further review."

Havent found out why as yet.....

Quote from Gavin1393 on April 22, 2013, 13:19
    I did find this on another forum:-

"Due to some developments which were posted on the UMGF as of February 29, we are for the moment no longer suggesting Meguiars Scratch-X for the buffing out procedure nor any other Meguiars products for this process pending further review."

Havent found out why as yet.....
    Thanks for the info Gavin, too late for the headstock but I will keep it well away from the body. I have done endless hours of research on the Internet, and not once did I come across that one. I must have googled every possible combination except the right one of course. :?

And of course there is a place to try it on a Strat body, under the pick guard.

Cheers mate
    rob

ok - here's what I discovered. Apparently most of the Meguiars product line contains silicon which causes the guitar finish to go milky/hazy. I think this only happens if the surface is damaged in some way. Makes repairing the guitar very difficult too.

Some Meguiars products like Swirl Remover apparently do not contain silicon and would definitely be a better bet than the Scratch-X product if if does contain silicon.

Thanks again Gavin. Yeah I knew to avoid anything with Silicon, so i checked the label for contents before buying and it had no mention of Silicon. Perhaps its some hidden ingredient.

I might do further research on their web site. I checked the bottle and its actually Scratch-X 2. The 2 probably indicates twice the amount of Silicon lol.

rob

I find that if I leave the body for a month to fully cure, a light buff with 0000 grade steel wool and then half a ream of reflex paper gives me a nice high gloss....
    Masochistic AND anally retentive......... :?

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast