Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pick-up Winder

After witnessing all the negativity around the Schaller Pick-up winder sold by StewMac I have decided to embark on building my own unit, rather than spending around $450 plus delivery, I have only spent around $100. Is anyone on the forum winding their own pickups and if so what are you using? Any tips / essential thoughts before I start building? Currently waiting on the motor (24 volt variable speed controller and 24v motor up to 800 RPM), 24volt counter all ordered on e-bay delaying my start date!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 14:11
    After witnessing all the negativity around the Schaller Pick-up winder sold by StewMac I have decided to embark on building my own unit, rather than spending around $450 plus delivery, I have only spent around $100. Is anyone on the forum winding their own pickups and if so what are you using? Any tips / essential thoughts before I start building? Currently waiting on the motor (24 volt variable speed controller and 24v motor up to 800 RPM), 24volt counter all ordered on e-bay delaying my start date!

Oh Man,

Cant wait to see what you come up with Gavin!

Yep, the pup winder from Stewmac is a bit of a lemon, so I too have been putting off getting one...

If yours works out ok I may have to get you to build me one 8-)

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

I was thinking I might detail the building process on the forum....but I need to be able to upload the pics. Seems I might have to send the pictures through to Adam to upload though....do you know of a work around?
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 16:53
    I was thinking I might detail the building process on the forum....but I need to be able to upload the pics. Seems I might have to send the pictures through to Adam to upload though....do you know of a work around?
    Hmmmm.
    I sometimes have dramas uploading as well... I think it is a matter of what time you post photos, I usually try to do it during the day, seems to work better then...

Please do a video or photo shoot of this project!
    So many of us would love to get your input in this one, I have been itching to make my own pups for ages but due to lack of reliable and affordable gear I have put it off.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on December 4, 2012, 18:12
    Hmmmm.
    I sometimes have dramas uploading as well... I think it is a matter of what time you post photos, I usually try to do it during the day, seems to work better then...

Please do a video or photo shoot of this project!
    So many of us would love to get your input in this one, I have been itching to make my own pups for ages but due to lack of reliable and affordable gear I have put it off.
    Will look to do both video and photo's...

If you're having trouble loading photos, they're probably too big. Try trimming them down to about 500 pixels across and 72dpi.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Hey Adam, i'm not sure I can count that high! What size is that 500 x 72 in megs?

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 22:04
    Quote from adam on December 4, 2012, 21:59
    If you're having trouble loading photos, they're probably too big. Try trimming them down to about 500 pixels across and 72dpi.
    Hey Adam, i'm not sure I can count that high! What size is that 500 x 72 in megs?
    I meant 500 x 500 pixels in size and 72dpi in resolution. When digital photos are taken straight from a camera, or phone, they tend to be quite large; 4000 x 3000 pixels at 300dpi. So you need to bring down the size and resolution so it will post to our forum. I think Google's Picassa will do it for you, which is a free program.
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 14:11
    Google transformer winders instead. Much more information.

Here is the end result of my hand built Pickup winder. If anyone is interested I will post the build pictures below.
    It features a digital counter with reset switch that will comfortably handle counting to 10,000 winds. Powered with a 24 volt motor that is capable of 800 revolutions per minute (at 7/10 on the speed controller it is running at 600).
    A reed switch triggered by a rare-earth magnet aids with the counting function.
    All in cost me under $100!
    Thinking I might put in an On/Off LED as well as functionality to attach a foot switch to control winding speed.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast