Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Spalted Maple top LP1, finished with Wudtone.

Hi all,

Adam very kindly sent a Spalted LP1 my way to see what kind of results can be achieved with Wudtone finishes on Pit Bull kits.
    Adam ROCKS!

I have used Wudtone on the Axe of Destiny with great results.

The Wudtone has made the figure in the Spalted Maple pop, and even after only two coats the figure in the grain is really starting to come out.

I am convinced now that any other synthetic or polyurethane finish will NOT bring out the full potential of this timber.

If you have bought the Spalted Maple top LP1, I would urge you to consider going the extra mile and using the Wudtone finish.

Wudtone is very easy to apply, all you need is some patience as the whole process from colour to finish coat may take up to two weeks, depending how many coats you apply.

Check out the web site at wudtone.com

Keep an eye out for Pit Bull instructional video on Wudtone that is currently in production.

In the meantime, I am more than happy to answer any questions and to give help if needed.

You can post questions here or email me at dingobass@hotmail.com.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

What Wudtone finish have you put on there DB? Looks fantastic!
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 3, 2012, 19:22
    What Wudtone finish have you put on there DB? Looks fantastic!
    In my excitement I neglected to say that this is the Carmine Gypsy, with Mahogany on the sides and back.....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

My Spalted Maple has arrived. It's a beautiful piece, but I cannot figure out how to upload a pic of it?

http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Hi all - my first post here and my Spalted Maple LP1 has arrived and I have already had some French polishing advice (via DingoBass) sent to me from Adam. I have completed a "look-alike" Tele in the Francis Rossi green and a Ukelele (Stewart Macdonald)that I stuffed up by using shop bought varnish...Doh..!! Looks like I may need some expert advice from dingobass and in the meantime I will check out the Wudtone site. Cheers all, Pedro.

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 10:30
    My Spalted Maple has arrived. It's a beautiful piece, but I cannot figure out how to upload a pic of it?
    Hi Gavin, here's the pic you sent. looks sensational!

[img][/img]
    Cheers,

Adam

adamboyle(at)pitbullguitars.com

Thanks Adam! You sent me a beauty! Have been in touch with Andy (Wudtone) to get his thoughts on what finish to apply to highlight the features to this one!
    DingoBass, have you used the straight forward colours or have you tried the Gold / Silver highlight versions? If so, any comments about whether these enhance or detract?

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 11:57
    Thanks Adam! You sent me a beauty! Have been in touch with Andy (Wudtone) to get his thoughts on what finish to apply to highlight the features to this one!
    DingoBass, have you used the straight forward colours or have you tried the Gold / Silver highlight versions? If so, any comments about whether these enhance or detract?
    Hey Gavin,

I used the gold highlights on the Axe of Destiny.
    It is very subtle but gives that extra dimension to the finish.
    I give it 9 1/2 out of ten, only because it isnt real 24 carat gold dust

Awesome! Dingo Bass, thanks for the feedback - couldn't find anything definitive on their site. Just as well it isn't real gold dust given the price of gold lately!

Quote from pedro on December 4, 2012, 10:48
    Hi all - my first post here and my Spalted Maple LP1 has arrived and I have already had some French polishing advice (via DingoBass) sent to me from Adam. I have completed a "look-alike" Tele in the Francis Rossi green and a Ukelele (Stewart Macdonald)that I stuffed up by using shop bought varnish...Doh..!! Looks like I may need some expert advice from dingobass and in the meantime I will check out the Wudtone site. Cheers all, Pedro.
    Hey Pedro,

I see that you are already familiar with Stewmac.

If you do decide to go down the French Polish road, I would highly recommend that you get a few bottles of their thin super glue.

I use this to harden the face of the Spalts I use in my custom builds before I begin the French Polish.

You will need to do this out side! otherwise you will pass out from the fumes.

How I go about the application of the super glue is as follows.

1. Find a pot plant tag to use as a scraper.
    2. WEAR GLOVES! it is a bit embarresing having to go to casualty with a guitar super glued to your fingers.... yes, I have been there... ( acetone / nail polish remover will dissolve superglue)
    3. With glue in one hand and scraper in the other, start to pour a little glue in front of the scraper and drag it in the direction of the grain. Keep going untill you have covered the whole top with a reasonable layer.
    At this stage it may look a bit streaky and you may see some spots you have missed. Don't worry as when you apply the second coat you should cover these.
    4. leave this first coat to dry and cure overnight and repeat.
    5. After leaving the top to cure over night you can begin to sand.

For sanding I use 3m frecut gold paper from Stewmac. you will need one sheet each of 220, 400 and 800.
    You will also need a few sheets of micro finishing paper 1200 and 1500.
    The smoother and shinier you can get the top before F.P. the better results you will gain.

As for which shellac to use for the F.P. that is entirely up to you. I personaly use the Platina or clear shellac if the top has a nice colour, but you may choose to use any colour shellac to suit your taste.
    You don't need much for a guitar, so I would recommend getting the small packet from Stewmac as shellac has a shelf life.
    You can dissolve the shellac in metholated spirits.

Stewmac have some great articles on how to prepare the shellac for use and how to do F.P. that are really suitable for the beginner. If you follow these you will end up with a wonderful finish.

Good luck with the build and if you have any questions just ask!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast