Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Spalted Maple top LP1, finished with Wudtone.

Thanks Dingobass - just one question I think I will use the Carmine Gypsy on the top as the photos above are brilliant - and another colour on the sides and back (havent made my mind up yet - open to suggestions) Do I need to get a different kit for each colour from Wudtone and how do you keep the colours from seeping into each other - do you use masking tape or something similar (apologies if these are dumb questions...!) Pete

Quote from pedro on December 13, 2012, 22:48
    Thanks Dingobass - just one question I think I will use the Carmine Gypsy on the top as the photos above are brilliant - and another colour on the sides and back (havent made my mind up yet - open to suggestions) Do I need to get a different kit for each colour from Wudtone and how do you keep the colours from seeping into each other - do you use masking tape or something similar (apologies if these are dumb questions...!) Pete
    I'd go with Columbian Gold or Black Magic Woman....probably favouring the Black Magic Woman in combo with the Carmine Gypsy for the back and sides. i'll let DB answer the other questions...
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 14, 2012, 06:56
    Quote from pedro on December 13, 2012, 22:48
    I'd go with Columbian Gold or Black Magic Woman....probably favouring the Black Magic Woman in combo with the Carmine Gypsy for the back and sides. i'll let DB answer the other questions...
    Hey Pedro,

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

You won't have any problems with colours running into each other, the binding will act as a nice barrier.

I do like Gavins suggestion of using Black Magic Woman on the back and sides.

Yes, you will need to buy seperate kits for each colour, and you might like to consider adding either Gold or Silver highlights to the kit.

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

And here she is, LP S1 finished with Wudtone.. with added bling!

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on December 14, 2012, 09:24
    Bucket, DB that's one gorgeous looking guitar! What PUP's have you used? How does it sound?
    (Actual word I would have used rhymes with bucket in case anyone is left wondering why I was referencing a Michael Jackson offspring....)
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 14, 2012, 12:05
    Bucket, DB that's one gorgeous looking guitar! What PUP's have you used? How does it sound?
    (Actual word I would have used rhymes with bucket in case anyone is left wondering why I was referencing a Michael Jackson offspring....)
    here here, look fwd to hearing it and great use of gold highlights.
    for info , you can use the highlights in two ways.
    1 add some to the base coat and this will give a slight metallic effect to the overall result, it will also highlight/gilt curves due to light reflection.
    2 rag the highlight on its own into any grain pores etc , before top coats, works well on ash to highlight the grain.

Also a good option on mahogany for a darker contrast colour is the Mahogany or Dark Onyx, these are fine particle, dye only based ( like Carmine Gypsy) and so make sure every element of grain character is popped ( as opposed to Black Magic Woman, which also contains pigment so a more solid colour, ( with enough base coats can be achieved).

Great stuff
    kind regards
    Andy Preston

Hey Gavin, The pups were from a LP1 kit, I thought that they would look better with the Gold bling than the black covered ones supplied with the kit.
    The electrics on board are as supplied with the kit.

She sounds OK, Hoping to get to Adams tomorrow so he can plug her in and let rip. ( I am a Bass player and really crap at playing guitars)

I am sure that you will get to see more of her and how she sounds soon.. More shall be revealed later 8-)

Quote from andypwudtone on December 14, 2012, 17:10
    here here, look fwd to hearing it and great use of gold highlights.
    for info , you can use the highlights in two ways.
    1 add some to the base coat and this will give a slight metallic effect to the overall result, it will also highlight/gilt curves due to light reflection.
    2 rag the highlight on its own into any grain pores etc , before top coats, works well on ash to highlight the grain.

Also a good option on mahogany for a darker contrast colour is the Mahogany or Dark Onyx, these are fine particle, dye only based ( like Carmine Gypsy) and so make sure every element of grain character is popped ( as opposed to Black Magic Woman, which also contains pigment so a more solid colour, ( with enough base coats can be achieved).

Great stuff

Thanks for the input Andy.

I am doing some experiments with the Randy Rhoads inspired kit... Black Magic Woman sanded back to bare wood in places and then Carmine Gypsy over the top. Also scratched the surface up with 40 grit paper..
    Then rubbed in Gold Highlights...
    Interesting effect
    kind regards
    Andy Preston

Hello all, this is my 1st forum post, I received my LP spalted maple axe about 2 weeks ago but had a painfull 2 week wait for my wudtone kits to arrive which arrived today, I ordered the burning sun for the top and hot auburn with extra gloss for sides and back. I just finished the 1st coat on the top using burning sun and am amazed at how the 1st coat brought out the flames and other features so clearly, photos don't justify how good it looks after just 1 coat ! I think at least 3 more base coats and then will look at gold highlights and then several top coats. Thanks Dingobass for the tips on the way, I may ask for more advice when I get to the gold highlights stage. Stay tuned for more updates

Another interesting feature is if you compare my top to the Pit Bull Facebook page cover shot the grain is perfectly the same as mine so I was chuffed !
    Cheers Wokka

Current Builds and status
    scratch end grain pine tele - first clear coat on !
    JBA-4 - assembled - final tweaks
    Telemonster double scale tele - finish tobacco burst on body and sand neck

Completed builds
    scratch oak.rose gum Jazzmaster - assembled needs setup
    MK-2 Mosrite - assembled - play in
    Ash tele with Baritone neck - neck pup wiring tweaks and play in

Looking good already!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast