Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Spalted Maple top LP1, finished with Wudtone.

Adding to what DB said. I was warned against the shellac from Bunnings...too yellow apparently.
    DB, when apply the Wudtone product, was it necessary to do the Superglue fill or did the Wudtone cover that off nicely?
    http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1258&dateline=1443806  448Gavmeister

Quote from Gavin1393 on December 4, 2012, 14:03
    Adding to what DB said. I was warned against the shellac from Bunnings...too yellow apparently.
    DB, when apply the Wudtone product, was it necessary to do the Superglue fill or did the Wudtone cover that off nicely?
    No superglue if using Wudtone!!!! Wudtone is designed to soak in.

The problem with shellac from Bunnings is, well, it is from Bunnings.... as well as being to yellow, it usually is not de waxed, even if it says it is. Remember, Bunnings is an outlet for cheap stuff and apart from buying the occasional drill bit I tend not to shop there for my Lutherie gear....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on December 3, 2012, 21:19
    Quote from Gavin1393 on December 3, 2012, 19:22
    What Wudtone finish have you put on there DB? Looks fantastic!
    In my excitement I neglected to say that this is the Carmine Gypsy, with Mahogany on the sides and back.....
    hey guys , looking awesome! I love it.
    Is this after just the deep colour coat?

The ageing top coat would be nice on top of this.
    chrs Andy

Quote from andypwudtone on December 4, 2012, 17:34
    In my excitement I neglected to say that this is the Carmine Gypsy, with Mahogany on the sides and back.....

chrs Andy
    Hey Andy,

This is the deep colour coat.
    I have now applied three coats and WOW, baby it POPS!
    I have used the ageing top coat on the Axe of Destiny, and it looks great! ( Photos I must post and send to you as well)

Have yet to make up my mind re: top coats, will confer with Adam and ask for his input with this....

There is always a workaround for glitches, mistakes and other Guitar building gremlins.....

Quote from dingobass on December 4, 2012, 18:02

chrs Andy
    Hey Andy,

I have used the ageing top coat on the Axe of Destiny, and it looks great! ( Photos I must post and send to you as well)

Have yet to make up my mind re: top coats, will confer with Adam and ask for his input with this....
    Yes please re pics, awesome work and thank you in advance , glad it's all falling into place.

If you need any help with custom colour mixes etc , let me know kind regards

ps sent adam link to this for a bit more flexibility and some discount,
    click on this link http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/up...UNT-Nov-12.xls and it should load up. Also has guidance on which kits suit which woods best.

Quote from andypwudtone on December 4, 2012, 18:31

chrs Andy
    Hey Andy,

Yes please re pics, awesome work and thank you in advance , glad it's all falling into place.

click on this link http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/up...UNT-Nov-12.xls and it should load up. Also has guidance on which kits suit which woods best.

Thanks Andy!.
    Pics on the way tonight..

Quote from dingobass on December 4, 2012, 18:38
    Quote from andypwudtone on December 4, 2012, 18:31

chrs Andy
    Hey Andy,

Thanks Andy!.
    Pics on the way tonight..
    Here she is after three coats of deep colour..

brilliant thanks Dingobass - I havent opened mine yet - I am saving it for a Christmas pressy from the family - that way I get to have them involved in the project...haha.

I missed all your follow up with Gavin, Dingobass - I think that I will go with Wudtone also and avoide the superglue route - also I was looking at the Bunnings Shellack today - good thing I didnt get any - cheers again Pete

Quote from pedro on December 9, 2012, 20:09
    I missed all your follow up with Gavin, Dingobass - I think that I will go with Wudtone also and avoide the superglue route - also I was looking at the Bunnings Shellack today - good thing I didnt get any - cheers again Pete
    Hey Pedro,

You wont be dissapointed with the Wudtone.
    Be patient and give each base coat a minimum of 24 hours, and finish coats 48 hours to dry between coats and you will love the results.

Enjoy the build! 8-)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast