Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hearing...

As a person who suffers some hearing loss due to working in a workshop as an Apprentice Fitter and Machinist, and also a tropical ear infection in my right ear, definitely do whatever it takes to protect your hearing, as Stan said, hearing loss is cumulative, the worst thing about it is you'll be unaware that you're doing the damage as it's happening, I also suffer from Tinitus (a high-pitched ringing in the ears).

Yep, I think anyone over their 30's who's been involved in rock 'n' roll (be it muso, crew or even audience) will be suffering some level of tinnitus ... I guess we're victims of our generation (i.e. before we became aware of the damage caused by excessive noise).

I remember after a Black Sabbath concert back in the '80's (in my "young and dumb" days! ) not being able to hear properly for two days afterwards! ... and yep, combined with all the other concerts and gigs over the years, I'm now "hearing cicadas" 24 hours a day!

Wait a minute ... that sounds like Rock and/or Roll!

SG-1 ... "Little Miss" finished in Flamenco Cherry Wudtone
    TL-1A ... "Slugger" finished in Antique White Nitro
    EX-1 ... "Metal God" finished in nickel-plate (work in progress)
    ST-1A ... "Scrapper" stained and finished in linseed oil ... and with the "secret weapon"
    GR-1SF ... "Rocker-billy" (just arrived, work in progress)

Agree with all the above. When I was a roadie I used to insist on ear plugs, particularly when doing scaff/stage building work. I had some laugh at me, but by the time I moved on to other things (nearly 10 years ago) it seemed to be becoming the norm, which is great. I don't wear hearing protection when playing as I've not used any that didn't negatively affect the sound/my enjoyment, but I try to keep the volume reasonable, and I always always use hearing and eye protection when using power tools. Why sacrifice your hearing to the sound of power tools? What a waste! Perhaps I should look into hearing protection while playing again. What do you guys use, and how good do you find it?
    Last edited by metalhead; 10-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Overlord of Music andrewdosborne's Avatar
    Protect your hearing! I now have permanent tinnitus from loud guitar, gigs and concerts. No doubt picked up most damage in exceedingly loud metal gigs and one particular Who concert..

I now wear ear plugs and lower volumes where possible. Encouragingly a few years back I was not not the only one at a Slayer gigs wearing them which shows awareness of this issue is getting through. They even sold them in the foyer!
    Current Projects
    #Planning 5 String Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Scott J. View Post
    Yep, I think anyone over their 30's who's been involved in rock 'n' roll (be it muso, crew or even audience) will be suffering some level of tinnitus
    I'm now "hearing cicadas" 24 hours a day!
    I'm with you on this Scott, my ears rang for days after seeing the Beatles at the old Sydney Stadium in 1964 and my hearing has been going backwards ever since.

Playing in loud rock & country rock bands from 64 - 82 certainly didn't help either, multiple stacks with 8x12" speakers make a huge sound and push massive amounts of air.

Cicadas 24/7 here too, gets worse when I'm tired

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2